Heading to Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arkman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are heading down to Jamaica for a vacation. Diving was not the first consideration in the trip planning, mainly it was the good deal we got.

I realize that its probably not the best dive location around but considering that we've never really been anywhere, this will be a big step up for us. :D

We've never dove in salt water or even really snorkeled for that matter. A lot of folks would be surprised what we think is good diving. If I can see 10' and see something other than a bullhead in the water thats a great dive!

With that being said, is there anything specific we should watch for down there? We'll be diving around ocho rios. I'm thinking that the experience is going to be really overwhelming so I'd like to have a mission in mind. Look for this fish or that fish, something like that.

I just don't even know what to expect, and I want to make sure to have a good dive.

I think the key point to diving in Jamaica is to slow down. A lot of the larger life has been depleted by fishing, so look closely for the smaller critters. I thought the diving in the DR was far-and-away worse.

I don't have any photos posted up for viewing, but one of my friends does. She is a resident Jamaican, and just started diving recently. Here are some of her photos (she's got a few folders with photos, so check them all out):

https://picasaweb.google.com/cristinaholtz2007/DivingJamaica?feat=content_notification#

I may be able to make specific recommendations if I knew where in Ocho Rios and when.

We are going to the Sandals resort "Grand Riviera". My guess is we'll just dive through the resort a few times rather than getting a guide elsewhere.

Diving the DR? I'm not sure I know what you mean. I hope thats not a stupid question. :dork2:

The first thing you'll notice is you can see and your tongue won't stick to anything you might want to lick.

Dove with Sandals in St Lucia. Sandals/Beeches has a very conservative dive policy which will probably be perfect for your situation. If you haven't dived in 6 months you will have to do a refresher. If you have logged dives within 6 months you must first do a shallow dive so the DMs can evaluate you.

Some of the Sandals have boats on the property which is very convenient. Walk to the dive shack, get you gear, get on the boat, fall into the ocean. Others, you may have to take a shuttle to a dock. Either way it's all included. Their website should have info.

They will supply all the gear except wetsuits (which you probably won't need). I usually bring my mask fins and snorkel. If you have your own kit you can use that if you want. Most of the resort gear I've used has been in ok shape but check it all out before you get on the boat and don't be afraid to ask for a replacement if something looks abused.

I dove with Couples in Negril a few years ago (I like Couples better than Sandals) and had a blast. Jamaica is over-fished so the bigger stuff can be hard to find But I've heard that it is coming back. We saw dolphins and nurse sharks.

Anyway, enjoy your salt water baptism. I doubt you'll go back to that molten ice you have up there.

The first thing you'll notice is you can see and your tongue won't stick to anything you might want to lick.

I'm excited to be able to lick lamp post again. :eyebrow:

Anyway, enjoy your salt water baptism. I doubt you'll go back to that molten ice you have up there.

I hope I wan't to dive up here again. I'm actually kind of nervous that I'll decide up here is lame and I'll want to only go on vacation to dive.:shakehead:

I've already signed up for a dive on one of the rivers up here...the day after we get back. I guess its a fun dive but the water is about 45* that time of year. I just hope I can line up a drysuit by then. I've got the class done, now I just need the suit. It could be awfully cold with just a farmer john 5mm. :(

Haven't been to Occho Rios, but the general concensus on the Island is that Negril has the better diving.

I've only been on three diving vacations, first being Turks and Caicos (awesome), 2nd & 3rd being Negril, Jamaica so my experience is not extensive. I can definitely say Jamaica is not exactly overwhelming when it comes to sealife.

There a link to my last Jamaica trip photos in my signature.

Heading to Couples Negril in September and can't wait. This isn't our dive trip (that was 3 weeks ago in Roatan) but we're hoping to get in 10 days during our week stay there. Glad to hear Couples diivng was good and Negril the best area in Jamaica.

To: Arkman-- you must be made of sterner stuff than me. My check out dives in central MN convinced me to head way south when feel the need to get wet.

To: Betty-- You will have a blast at Couples. Best AI I have ever been to. Great resort and great dive crew. The diving won't compare with Roatan but the DMs keep everyone happy. Look for the micro life (I saw quite a few juvenile drumfish)and the occasional dolphin and nurse shark and you'll enjoy the dives.
The diving is so convenient. They have their own boat and most sites are less than a 15 minute trip. My only complaint is they only did single tank dives. One in the morning and one one in the afternoon so I couldn't have my Reme Martin by the pool until 3pm. Very stressful.....

Diving the DR?
Dominican Republic.

I've only dove around Negril, but have also heard that it's the better location around the island. I had my first, and only encounter with dolphins around Negril.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom