1 Flight question, 1 FIBR question, 1 food question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd rather go with someone who is a friend of a friend and won't try and rip us off. Everyone at FI dive centre knows Antonio.

Don't worry Betty, Silvernotch is in my group and Antonio is a good friend of ours. We'll make sure she's well taken care of :D

Maybe I got lucky, or maybe I'm a better negotiator, but I was able to take a taxi from FIBR to the Hole in the Wall and back for $30 roundtrip for 2 people. The driver even stopped at a few vantage points for us to take photos and waited for us while we ate at Hole in the Wall and did the mangrove tour. I don't think you need a phone number to a certian taxi driver.... they are lined up at the gate of FIBR just waiting for your call. Negotiate the price before you leave. If you don't like the price tell the driver nevermind and start to walk away. He will stop you and re-negotiate undoubtedly. Also, for the record, the bar isn't "floating." It is a pier. Here is a photo of the bar -

00-113.JPG

And from the backside...

00-110.JPG

A few more pictures of the place so you don't go into shock upon arrival...

00-103.JPG

00-104.JPG

For the record the food was very good and I wouldn't hesitate to return with a group of friends.

Also get off FIBR and get to West End for dinner or lunch. For lunch you can't beat Eagle Rays view - and thier grouper sandwich with coconut sauce is delicious. Dinner at the Argentina Grill will reward your taste buds as well.

Enjoy.

Maybe I got lucky, or maybe I'm a better negotiator, but I was able to take a taxi from FIBR to the Hole in the Wall and back for $30 roundtrip for 2 people.

Same here! We got a minivan with 2 drivers for a whole evening (take us wherever we wanted, including West end) for 50$ plus a nice tip...:coffee:

Betty,

Not sure really. I made my 3 morning dives at FIBR but skipped on the lunch. The old man and I grabbed a taxi and went and that was the photo I took on our way there. I have never been to the place when there was actually patrons other than dad and I.

For the people that haven't been there yet... go! I tracked the place down via this forum on a recommendation from someone else. I "dragged" my father along and he was pretty darn nervous upon arrival. I convinced him we wouldn't die from it, so we ordered food. I should note my mother was a Chicago chef for 25 years... we know good food. Dad got the lobster sandwich and was in heaven. I got the blue cheese burger and it rivaled any that I get stateside.

Couple more photos...

00-88.JPG

That's one of my all-time favorites. This is the "dock" where you leave for Hole in the Wall. They were repairing it the day we were there. In case you can't put it together, the guy holding/using the electric power saw is standing in a canoe in the ocean. The boat was not tied up to the pier. Amazingly, he still had both hands when we left.

Also assuming it is still offered you should consider wasting ~1 hour and $10 for a mangrove tour.

00-117.JPG

The people that live out here rely upon boats for all transportation. Reminds me a bit of the Louisiana bayou country. For example, the children on the school "bus" on thier way home from school -

00-138.JPG

Whoops wrong size image. LOL. Oh well, sorry...

What day of the week did you go? I believe the all-you-can-eat lobster & steak for $25 is on the weekend only. That's when it's packed. It starts at 1pm; we got there at 1:25pm. Couldn't find a seat at first, so got into a line with about 20 people in front of us. Once we had our food one of the old guys there made some boaters shush down to make room for the 3 of us. :D

There was also nothing else on the menu except the lobster & steak. (Plus sides like yummy mash potatos, veggies and awesome bread)

please don't eat the lobster, season ended here march 1st and all frozen tails had to be consumed by the 15th. the lobster that's being served at multiple restaurants right now is all poached. with volunteers (mostly instructors or d.m.'s) constantly finding illegal lobster pots and fishing nets in the marine reserve, eating lobster just encourages the bad behaviour of the poachers. the authorities won't do anything but we can all help to discourage it.

UOTE=laurenceh;5807661]please don't eat the lobster, season ended here march 1st and all frozen tails had to be consumed by the 15th. the lobster that's being served at multiple restaurants right now is all poached. with volunteers (mostly instructors or d.m.'s) constantly finding illegal lobster pots and fishing nets in the marine reserve, eating lobster just encourages the bad behaviour of the poachers. the authorities won't do anything but we can all help to discourage it.[/QUOTE]

That makes it a bummer for me. I eat my eggs fried not poached, so I darn well am not going to ruin a good lobster by poaching it, give it to me broiled with a generous bowl of drawn garlic butter,:rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom