1 Flight question, 1 FIBR question, 1 food question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silvernotch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I see online that Continental will allow 1 free checked bag for international flights. How does that work when I fly from PHL -> Houston -> Roatan? Will it still be free?

and is there any kind of washing machine at FIBR? I'm really trying to minimize what I bring down and it would be great to bring just a few things and wash them mid-week. I know there's an issue with water on the island so I wasn't sure if FIBR would have this. I'll make it work either way :)

and for food outside of FIBR. My SO wants to go out to dinner one night off of the resort. Is there any place good that's nearby?

Thanks guys :)

It's your final destination that determines the 1 back checked for free. Just gently remind the gate agent of your final destination. If you booked the flights separately, just show the gate agent your full iteniary, again gently. I've found you get a lot more with honey than vinegar.

As to the other questions, sorry, can't answer them.

For about 50$, you can hire a van (from FI) and driver to take you into West end for the evening where you can dine, drink and party all you want. It's a bit of a drive (30 minutes) but worth it at least once... If you find some others to join you, it comes out cheaper for everyone. i think there are a few places nearer, but I don't know of them... I'm sure someone will come along with more info.:coffee:

I see online that Continental will allow 1 free checked bag for international flights. How does that work when I fly from PHL -> Houston -> Roatan? Will it still be free?

and is there any kind of washing machine at FIBR? I'm really trying to minimize what I bring down and it would be great to bring just a few things and wash them mid-week. I know there's an issue with water on the island so I wasn't sure if FIBR would have this. I'll make it work either way :)

and for food outside of FIBR. My SO wants to go out to dinner one night off of the resort. Is there any place good that's nearby?

Thanks guys :)

You won't have time to mess with laundry! Just my 2 cents....
Nobody is going to care what you wear or if you wear the same thing. I only had on clothes outside of bathing suit for dinner. Few pairs of shorts and a few t shirts and you are set.

If you have never been before you would probably enjoy going into West Bay/West End. There are lots of good restaurants at both.

Have a great trip!

You won't have time to mess with laundry! Just my 2 cents....
Nobody is going to care what you wear or if you wear the same thing. I only had on clothes outside of bathing suit for dinner. Few pairs of shorts and a few t shirts and you are set.

If you have never been before you would probably enjoy going into West Bay/West End. There are lots of good restaurants at both.

Have a great trip!

oh I have no problem wearing the same things multiple times but after 2-3 times they might start standing up on their own :rofl3:

If you want an experience at lunchtime versus dinner....and its a weekend...try Hole in the Wall for all you-can-eat lobster tails + steak for $25/person. OMG :shocked2:

The taxi there & back will probably cost about $80 (it did for 3 of us) but try and get another couple to join you. What an adventure and the food - amazing (even the steak believe it or not)

It is a floating restuarant with picnic tables and tons of people. You have to take a small boat over from Jonesville but but it was worth every penny.

I have the name & number of a taxi driver who is a friend of Miguel (who was our FI DM) if you're interested going off resort. We started off at $80 to the restaurant and back and then added a trip to West End which is in the total opposite direction all for $100 US. We were out and about for about 5 hrs total. On the way back from West End to FI he even went by way of West Bay so I could check out Bananarama. Good deal divided by 3 of us.

If you want an experience at lunchtime versus dinner....and its a weekend...try Hole in the Wall for all you-can-eat lobster tails + steak for $25/person. OMG :shocked2:

The taxi there & back will probably cost about $80 (it did for 3 of us) but try and get another couple to join you. What an adventure and the food - amazing (even the steak believe it or not)

It is a floating restuarant with picnic tables and tons of people. You have to take a small boat over from Jonesville but but it was worth every penny.

I have the name & number of a taxi driver who is a friend of Miguel (who was our FI DM) if you're interested going off resort. We started off at $80 to the restaurant and back and then added a trip to West End which is in the total opposite direction all for $100 US. We were out and about for about 5 hrs total. On the way back from West End to FI he even went by way of West Bay so I could check out Bananarama. Good deal divided by 3 of us.

all you can eat lobster and steak??? ummm yes please??? haha :)

and yes! could you shoot me a PM with his name and number?

Thank you!!!

You can save a few bucks with Continental by paying for your baggage charges online. We flew Sacramento > Houston> Roatan two weeks ago. Each of us had two pieces of checked luggage, so we had one free and one paid each. The charge is for the checked distination, so although we had two flights en route to Roatan, there was only one excess bag fee per direction.

The food at FIBR is very good. Buffet, but waiters do a good job of geting you what you need..wine, etc. Travel light...don't worry about clothes....swim suits, shorts &T's. I suggest a trip into French Harbor (not too far from FIBR) West End is a long way and would be costly RT via cab. Try to go to FH with another couple and split cab. The place to go is GIO's everyone knows where it is. Excellent and reasonable. Go in the afternoon or early evening. Enjoy.

Wash your clothes using shampoo, rinse and hang out to dry. You really will only need one nice outfit to wear when you go to dinner. You can eat at Romeo's in French Harbour. Kind of fancy for Roatan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom