Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mndiv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is it average to get a dive computer as youre just starting out because I found them all really expensive, ot can you just start out to work with the tables?

What about used..?

Nothing wrong with using tables. The disadvantage there is that they don't give you the benefit of adjusting your NDL's as your depth changes. However, I'd imagine diving a square profile still beats not diving at all.

Used computers are an option. But you need to know what you are looking for and looking at. There is however absolutely nothing wrong with diving tables when you are just starting out. In fact even though I feel my students have a very good grasp on buoyancy, trim, and dive planning when they complete the OW class ( they would not get a card if they did not) I recommend they do not buy computers until they have some dives in. I feel it is better for them to use tables and dive conservative profiles.

Most of the ops that they as new OW students should use would respect the recommended limits for OW divers and on a 40 foot dive the NDL on our tables is 135 minutes. Usually ops give them an hour in the water but I am hearing more and more of operators limiting dives to 45 minutes. At that a 60 foot dive has a 51 minute NDL on our tables.

You would have little problem diving tables if you stuck to the limits, planned your dives, and followed those plans.

I'm still glad I know how to use the tables, but I got a computer right after my open water certification. You can get something basic like an Oceanic Veo 100 for $150 new (Oceanic "Veo 100" Wrist Dive Computer, Yellow), so they really aren't cost prohibitive anymore.

Yes and yes. While you can certainly dive without a computer, many dive boats will require one and rent you one for about 10 to 15 dollars per dive day. I have used a computer on every dive going back to 1998 but also use tables to stay up to speed on them as a dive pro. I think you will find that using a computer will maximize not only bottom time but also diving pleasure. Your don't need all the bells and whistles. If you plan to be an active diver you would be well served to get your own dive computer and learn to use it.
DivemasterDennis

even if you dive tables you will still need a depth gauge and bottom timer, so why not just get a decent computer? Do a little research based on your diving needs, be sure to read the manual and learn to use it properly. Just do not become computer dependent.

Jeff

i think for OWD training.. u do not really need a computer. Tables will be good enough.

if u are thinking of going into AOW and beyond. then getting a computer is a very good and beneficial equipment.

It all depends. Yes computers are very nice and make your dive much more enjoyable and make your whole dive more efficient, but on the other hand they can be cost prohibitive depending on your income. Something I use to help me rationalize whether or not the piece of gear I am thinking about purchasing is worth it is ask myself several questions. The first of which is "Why do I want this piece of gear? If I get it will it serve a function for me or is it just something I think is cool and want?" The second question I ask myself is "What is the dive to dollar ratio probably going to work out to be?" By this I mean that I think about the number of dives I anticipate doing per year and comparing the dives to the cost because to me the more dives per year I do with a piece of gear the cheaper it will appear to me. For example if a piece of gear costs $1000 and I plan on doing 50 dives per year I will end up spending $20 per dive for that piece of gear whereas if I plan on only doing 10 dives a year it would cost me $100 per dive for that piece of gear.

So after that tangent I am trying to say if you plan on doing a fair number of dives per year it is definitely worth getting a computer, however if you only plan on diving say 5 times a year the cost may not be worth it unless you can get one for a fairly cheap price. The same goes for if you only plan to go on trips and dive. If you can get a computer cheap or a decent used computer then I would most definitely recommend getting one, but I would also recommend asking yourself the same questions I ask myself to help rationalize whether or not you should get a computer.

You can certainly start out using tables.
If you go on multiple-days dive trips where you do 2 or 3 (or more) dives per day, then you might want to take a dive computer - or two - along with you.
Anyway, if you decide to purchase a dive computer, make sure you learn how to properly use it.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom