Trip Report – Roatan, Honduras – May 21-28, 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chi-Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My sister and I just returned from a week at the Reef House Resort (www.reefhouseresort.com) in Roatan, Honduras. The trip exceeded my expectations. I must caution -- this is not the West End. The resort is located on a small key (cay?) that is only accessible by boat. The focus of trips here are basically – Eat, Sleep, Dive (not necessarily in that order). Partying/nightlife is not one of the purposes.

Getting There:
Convenient! Fly into Roatan (usually Saturday or Sunday from the US). Someone is there to meet you at the airport and help collect your bags. Transportation to/from the airport is included.

Accommodations:
Comfortable! There are only 12 or so rooms, each has two queen-sized beds, a flat screen TV with cable, A/C, hot private shower, and all the fresh drinking water you can consume. You can also refill your bottles with drinking water from a cooler in the main lodge. Free wi-fi is available in the rooms and lodge area.

Food:
Incredible! Three home-cooked meals, served on individual plates (no buffet). Each meal had home-made bread or tortillas and dinner included dessert (also home-made). After the third dive, fresh cookies or sweet rolls were available. Everything was fresh, wonderful, filling, and just downright DELICIOUS!
Juice and Iced Tea are provided with every meal. Alcohol and soft drinks are not included in the price (beer $2, sodas $1). The bar is an on-your-honor system. You can also bring your own alcohol or drinks.

Diving:
Amazing! The dive masters (Davit and Robert) are wonderful at spotting small stuff – we saw pipefish, flounder, eels, shrimp, and seahorses – just to name a few. The coral is healthy and the marine life abundant. We were the only dive boat at every site, every day.

Our boat was large and could accommodate 12 divers – although the most we had our week was 7. The Reef House has an equipment room where you can store your gear at night and a huge rinse tank within steps of where the boats are docked. Each morning our BCDs and regulators were on the boat. The boat had two separate fresh-water tubs for cameras and masks. Ice water and cookies or fruit were provided each morning for the two-tank dives.

The dives were varied and we never did the same spot twice. Your dive package includes 3 dives per day – two morning and one afternoon. One day each week, they do a night dive – the day will be picked based on the conditions. You can also do an optional shark dive (which I would highly recommend) for an additional $95.

You assemble all your own gear for each dive, although the boat guy (Choco) was extremely helpful when we were switching tanks and for getting us in and out of the water.

For each dive, you can follow the DM (if you want to see the macro stuff he finds) or dive your own profile. You are entirely responsible for yourself and your buddy – no check of air, safety stop, no deco time, etc. The DM gets you back to the boat and then you can stay in the shallows as long as you had air (you are only reqd. to be back on the boat with no less than 500 psi). My sis and I were recording dives well over an hour! We also saw lots of cool stuff right under the boat – an octopus on two different dives.

The water temp was around 84 degrees F, although I was chilled on most dives with a 3mm shortie. I would also suggest bringing along a lightweight long wetsuit because (although rare) the night divers encountered a swarm of jellyfish when surfacing.

Other:
There is a shallow, enclosed lagoon in front of the property, great for snorkeling. My sis did a night snorkel there and saw a baby barracuda, lots of sleeping parrotfish, a huge horse conch, other regular conches, spotted moray, huge green moray, sand crab, urchins, fuzzy chitons, brittle stars, and an octopus.

Also note, there is no beach per se. This is a huge advantage as there are significantly fewer sand fleas/flies. We saw people at the airport with serious bites all over their legs, while we had no more than a few all week.

Getting Home:
Here is a tip – have one person in your party get in line immediately to pay the departure tax ($37.80 at the time of this writing – CASH ONLY!) and one person wait in line to check-in for the flight. We arrived at the airport around 10am and just ahead of the groups coming from Anthony’s Key and CocoView. The line to pay the departure tax took about 40 minutes for us – others that first checked-in *then* paid the tax said it was closer to 1 hour.

All in all a fantastic trip and a value that can’t be beat. We are researching other places to go for next year and are having a difficult time finding anything that compares price-wise, convenience, and amenities.

Thanks for the report! My experience at the Reef House Resort was pretty much just like yours. I have stayed at some of the other "big name" resorts and enjoyed them as well but the diving and food were absolutely better at the RHR and the price is hundreds less. I think it's the best deal on the island and will certainly return there.

Great report, makes me wish I was still at RHR :D

A great little resort. I am looking for pix of the new dive boat. I would like to add it to Reef House Resort Roatan pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket

Post some pix!

ChiDiver also wrote: Also note, there is no beach per se. This is a huge advantage as there are significantly fewer sand fleas/flies

This is because of the breeze blowing off the Caribbean- nothing to do with sand, per-se. Sand flies do not like the slightest of air movement. RHR lounge area is located right at the waterfront- and the staff keeps the area very clean from decaying vegetable matter (wood, leaves, etc) that serve as a home to the critters.

South side resorts, especially those well maintained as is RHR? Less sand flies.

My wife and I were at Reef House for the two weeks before you. It was our 2nd time there so obviously we share your high opinion of the place; especially the DIVING!!! The main thing we go for after all. Here are a few photos from the trip. Look at my photo page here on SB and the first 10 are from this trip.

Tunicates.jpgSocial Featherdusters.jpgSeahorse & Lace.jpg

We were at Reef House the week after you were. We had just experienced a death in the family and so needed a relaxing, peaceful place to recharge our batteries. We found it in the Reef House experience. Mike could not have been kinder. The dives were wonderful and they brought some beauty back into our lives. Our critter found list grew each day. The food was plentiful, our room was clean and comfortable, the staff cheerful, helpful and eager to make sure our stay was everything we needed it to be. There are so many things I loved about the Reef House and we are already talking about when we can return.
Laine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom