LGBTQ Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not even close, unfortunately. There's as much in-fighting in the queer community as there is between the straight and gay communities. It's sad, really.

That's what I meant. disagreement on one's sexuality within the whole pan-inclusive group. A log cabin diver might take offense to activities by a trisexual. Maybe a strrictly exclusive group would be better. e.g. nonsexual dive group.

log cabin diver...trisexual. :confused:

For those who don't get it... maybe your not one who'd care if I held my gfs hand or gave her a hug when we got back on the boat cause I was proud of her for doing something she found to be a challenge. But we don't know who the friendly don't care people are because like most of the posts have said it's not like our orientation overtly comes up. However that means we sit there and "hide" our living situations from you while talking about where we are from ect. Its not a huge deal we're used to it in lots of situations. However it makes things feel slightly more stressful when trying to avoid specifics about who we are. For instance my gf and I went with a male friend to Coz this weekend and we're pretty sure either our dive group thought one of us was with him or we were some threesome group or family. One person asked if he and my partner was married and we all laughed and said no but we also didn't say she and I were. Now again it's no big deal but the little untruths like that are the reason it's sometimes easier to just go with other gay people or those who are known as friendly cause gives us a chance to relax one more level. That said no one on our boat seemed like the type to care about this sorta thing, maybe divers are more relaxed people generally.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking, in response to those who have asked what this has to do with diving. Being able to do normal couple stuff with your honey while on vacation is something most of us get to take for granted. There was a gay couple on the last liveaboard trip I was on, and they barely spoke to each other or interacted in any other way while around the rest of the crowd for the entire week. I wasn't sure they were even together until the last night when most of the people were off the boat for on-shore dinner. I was one of the few who stayed behind because I wasn't feeling well, and it was the first time all week I saw these guys really relax. I don't know whether they really had to be in such stealth mode all week, but they obviously believed they had to. It saddens me to think how much better their vacation would have been if they'd felt free to just enjoy the week the way I got to. :(

For those who don't get it... maybe your not one who'd care if I held my gfs hand or gave her a hug when we got back on the boat cause I was proud of her for doing something she found to be a challenge. But we don't know who you are like most of the post it's not like our orientation comes up while on the boat headed to the site. But that means we sit and "hide" our living situations from you while talking about where we are from ect. My gf and I went with a male friend and we're pretty sure either our dive group thought one of us was with him or we were some threesome group or family. Its not a big deal it's just sometimes being around other gay people or those who are knows friendly people gives us a chance to relax one more level.
Well I had to look these up...
log cabin diver...trisexual. :confused:
But whatever. If you'd like to have/join a gay-oriented dive club or organize a charter trip advertised as gay friendly, sure - go for it. I'd neither object nor join, but don't care.

Huh. I never really thought about a sexual-orientation based scuba club. On those few occasions when I've needed an insta-buddy, I've not thought it relevant to wonder what the potential dive-buddy's habits in the bedroom involve.

I'm sure there are a few divers out there that are so biased against the GLBT community, that they would not want to be on the same boat as a gay person, but my experience so far has been, we're divers, heading out to go diving. So long as you know what you're doing on the dive, I really don't need to know whether you're bumping fuglies with your same gender, the opposite gender, or any mix of both.

I figure the only reason I need to concern myself with anyone else's sexual orientation, is if I plan on getting into a relationship with them. Since I've been in a committed relationship with the same person for 31 years, and fully plan on keeping it going for the rest of our lives, then the only person whose sexual preferences I need to worry about are hers. Beyond that, I think we should treat other people as people, regardless of whether they're straight, gay, male, female, our ethnicity or another ethnicity, etc.

Of course, I've been called a radical before, too...

Well said...sexual preference/orientation has nothing to do with diving.

This is totally tangential to the OP but that's not quite right. Q is for queer, which is a "reclaimed" word that was formerly used as a pejorative for gays. Per Wikipedia, "In addition to referring to LGBT-identifying people, it can also encompass: pansexual, pomosexual, intersexual, genderqueer, asexual and autosexual people, and even gender normative heterosexuals whose sexual orientations or activities place them outside the heterosexual-defined mainstream, e.g., BDSM practitioners, or polyamorous persons." So someone who thinks that heterosexuals and LGBTs are making a mistake in assuming that sexuality is binary (i.e. you're one or the other, both, or move from one to the other) then they might call themselves queer. (See the pronoun game?) In any case, some gays still find "queer" offensive because of its old use as a slur, so it's probably not a good idea to start calling gay friends "queers" until you know it's OK.

Thanks for that. I knew what GLBT meant and suspected the Q but have never heard the 5 put together in that way before. Part of me thinks it odd that there would be a group that includes almost every conceivable sexual orientation except hetrosexual but another part of me understands why that is.
I hope the OP finds a group of divers (whether gender directed or not) that they feel comfortable with. Diving should be fun and a big part of that is being able to relax and trust the people you're with.

Seems to me we all put our rubber suits on one leg at a time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom