Dive computer for newbs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Do people ever mount their SPG on or near their low pressure infailtor? If you have a dive computer and compass on your wrist?

I use a DataMask. It is hoseless air integrated. I have a watch that has a depth gauge on it. If my computer dies then I simply surface. To prevent ruining a dive vacation I am going to buy a spg. I will carry it in my dive bag and use it as a backup.

I will give you my opinion on purchasing a computer, I recomend purchasing a simple Nitrox Capable Computer such as the Puck or Oceanic 180(almost any reliable computer will do). Technology changes pretty quickly and purchasing a top of the line computer as soon as your certified may not be your best investment. I would wait until I have more experience and then upgrade and keep the first as a backup. While consoles are nice because they get things off your wrist and make getting into and out of your BCD easier, I dont use them because in my opinion they are more likely to get damaged when traveling, or when someone else is in charge of your gear such as when diving in more remote locations. Again this is my opinion based on experience.

I have never considered a need to move my SPG close to my auto-inflator. I like the fact that there is never any confusion when reaching for either one..

Good Luck.

Cheers,
Roger

Right after certifying OW (and loving it) my daughter and I purchased all of our own equipment. Instead of a SPG, we let a dive shop talk us into a wrist computer that was AI. We have two Aeris Epics that from what I read is suppose to be a great dive computer. We were told (and believed) that one of the advantages of having the AI system was to reduce drag of the SPG, thus not needing one. On a trip to Puerto Rico to do my AOW, I connected to an empty tank. My lack of understanding just how the Aeris Epic worked prevented me from checking my air supply on board prior to the dive and waiting until the “wet activation” kicked in (remember no SPG to check prior to the dive). Unfortunately, I had to leave the water and wait on the boat while everyone else dove. The next day I purchased a SPG “Back-up” and the extra drag has never been noticeable, but knowing the SPG was there has been a great comfort. On another trip to Thailand, we had battery issues and had a devil of a time finding replacements; Phuket is a dive town and there just about as many dive shops as there are 7-11s and 7-11s are every 100 meters on every street. Since we only get to dive about 20 dives per year; usually one or two trips per year, we have never gotten the full use out of the Aeris Epics. I also find the computer very difficult to use and need the manual to do the simplest functions; not the computer’s fault. For me, the Aeris Epic is just not user friendly for my old brain to remember everything and seems over complicated for our simple recreational diving. I truly do like having the computer on my wrist for convenience, but I also check my SPG about every third time I check my wrist. I am looking at the Galileo Sol, a bit over size but easy to operate (but again might be more computer than needed for simple recreational diving).

My recommendations are:

1) Buy what you think you will use for your style of diving, taking budget, frequency of use, technological literacy into account
2) Know how to work it before your dive…not just the a quick vender demo
3) Have a contingency plan; recommend the SPG along with your computer of choice
4) Easy to replace the batteries (not factory battery replacement required)

Good luck.
Michael

I also recommend a simple nitrox capable comp like the veo. I have the veo 200 and it has served me well for going on 7 years. I also have an OMS bottom timer I got used for 100 bucks. With an SPG mounted on a 24 inch hose these have taken me through numerous scenarios and courses. Including my Intro to Tech and Helitrox courses. I see no need for any type of air integration. For the reasons noted and some other ones as well.

The transmitters on some wireless units are made so that they greatly interfere with hose attachment on some regs. The 1st stage ports are so that with certain transmitters you need an extension or short hose to attach to the transmitter to get the other hoses on. Thus introducing two new possible failure points - the hose itself and an additional connection that can fail. If you need to attach one with a hose you also run the risk of having it damaged during handling, flopping around, or even getting crushed.

Hosed AI computers present the possibility that if the battery dies you now no longer have access to your tank pressure unless you have installed a backup spg. So in the quest to reduce the amount of hoses prudence dictates you actually add one you did not need before. While they are convenient a hosed AI in a console can be streamlined if set up properly but many divers end up not being shown how to do that and as a result buy retractors with inadequate springs and the console is hanging at the end of it dragging and looking like crap and making the diver look like total dweeb.

Consoles are also subject to damage if not properly secured when they get caught in weeds or kelp, in the seat of boats, and when they are not held as they should be doing a giant stride and they bang off the swim platform. Seen it all happen. But consoles and AI computers in themsleves are not bad. It is the divers using them that cause the problems. Either from lack of attention, carelessness, or being sold a high dollar comp and not getting the training to use it. Or not getting told just how important it is to pay attention to their gear.

At some point I will get a new computer but not because it;s cool or because a shop manages to sell me on it. I will get it when my diving gets to the point that what I have now is not enough for what I want to do. It will be wrist mounted, non integrated, capable of switching gasses during a dive, handle trimix, and be in my budget. Until then I can do ANY dive I want using what I have now with tables as a backup and v planner software.

A new diver does not need all the bells and whistles or to buy a computer that does more than what he or she can do with their brains, a depth gauge, watch or bottom timer, spg, and tables.

Right after certifying OW (and loving it) my daughter and I purchased all of our own equipment. Instead of a SPG, we let a dive shop talk us into a wrist computer that was AI. We have two Aeris Epics that from what I read is suppose to be a great dive computer. We were told (and believed) that one of the advantages of having the AI system was to reduce drag of the SPG, thus not needing one. On a trip to Puerto Rico to do my AOW, I connected to an empty tank. My lack of understanding just how the Aeris Epic worked prevented me from checking my air supply on board prior to the dive and waiting until the “wet activation” kicked in (remember no SPG to check prior to the dive). Unfortunately, I had to leave the water and wait on the boat while everyone else dove. The next day I purchased a SPG “Back-up” and the extra drag has never been noticeable, but knowing the SPG was there has been a great comfort. On another trip to Thailand, we had battery issues and had a devil of a time finding replacements; Phuket is a dive town and there just about as many dive shops as there are 7-11s and 7-11s are every 100 meters on every street. Since we only get to dive about 20 dives per year; usually one or two trips per year, we have never gotten the full use out of the Aeris Epics. I also find the computer very difficult to use and need the manual to do the simplest functions; not the computer’s fault. For me, the Aeris Epic is just not user friendly for my old brain to remember everything and seems over complicated for our simple recreational diving. I truly do like having the computer on my wrist for convenience, but I also check my SPG about every third time I check my wrist. I am looking at the Galileo Sol, a bit over size but easy to operate (but again might be more computer than needed for simple recreational diving).

My recommendations are:

1) Buy what you think you will use for your style of diving, taking budget, frequency of use, technological literacy into account
2) Know how to work it before your dive…not just the a quick vender demo
3) Have a contingency plan; recommend the SPG along with your computer of choice
4) Easy to replace the batteries (not factory battery replacement required)

Good luck.
Michael

The other moral of this story is to always turn your computer on and let it do its checks prior to jumping in, and look a the display. Don't rely on auto activation. It's too late by then. Also do other predive checks: which definitely includes checking your tank pressure and breathing from all your regs, also prior to jumping in. Jumping in before doing basic checks is a recipe for starring in the accident forum.

Adam

I have an Atom 2.0 by Oceanic. It's one of the best purchases I ever made. I do a lot of limited visibility search dives where I am feeling around on the bottom looking for stuff and it kicks up a lot of muck. With it mounted on my wrist I know exactly where all my info is and can put it right up to the mask without trying to find my gauges. Another benefit is that I have completely streamlined my gear by taking off all of what I deem to be useless for the type of diving I am doing. All I have is an inflator hose, regulator, and the link sensor for my computer. This makes it harder for me to get snagged on stuff. Main point is that it is highly convenient to have it all on your wrist and my school of thought is you may as well buy what you know you want the first time even if it is more expensive otherwise you are going to buy the cheap one and realize it's not exactly what you need/want and you will end up buying the one you should have bought in the first place later on down the road.

The other moral of this story is to always turn your computer on and let it do its checks prior to jumping in, and look a the display. Don't rely on auto activation. It's too late by then. Also do other predive checks: which definitely includes checking your tank pressure and breathing from all your regs, also prior to jumping in. Jumping in before doing basic checks is a recipe for starring in the accident forum.

Adam

Also I might add, know everything about your dive computer before using it on a dive! I sat around the house playing with mine when I first got it until I figured it out and if I can't figure something out I call the manufacturer and ask them.:wink:

Also I might add, know everything about your dive computer before using it on a dive! I sat around the house playing with mine when I first got it until I figured it out .....

I agree 100%: read manual, take online class and take the dive computer for a virtual dive with our sim :D

I agree 100%: read manual, take online class and take the dive computer for a virtual dive with our sim :D

Some computers like my Vyper have a built in simulator which is useful for seeing the display in deco mode. For basic requirements I'd demand Nitrox mode, more than one button, and user changeable battery. Tissue nitrogen loading graph is nice--something the Suuntos don't have.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom