Dive computer for newbs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning on getting my own gear, once I do my open water dive. I see a lot of different options for dive computers: Dive computers w/ intergrated air and compass. Wrist mount vs console mounted.

I wonder if people with dive watches on their wrist w/o intergrated air, etc. check their air pressure reguarlly, since they are seperated.

I like the idea of not having things dangle down, though the wrist mount w/ remote seem pretty pricey.

How are the different brands, anyones to stay away from etc? Should I go with my LDS? Is this something that requires servicing regularly, etc?

Thanks in advance,

Hostage

When buying anything (computers, dive equipment, whatever) get what you budget will allow.

That being said, one of the most important features to look for in a PDC, is Air integrated. I am currently diving with a hosed PCD, but am looking at upgrading to a wrist unit (I should have gotten it to start with).

Personally,
I would choose a wrist mounted computer over console mounted as it is much more convenient to check your wrist than it is chunky console.
The more things you have on your console, the bulkier it gets and the more effort it becomes to keep it stowed securely. A console that drags below the body of a horizontal diver is likely to damage itself or the environment. No one wants a smashed computer or the guilt of smashing a huge piece of Acropora coral.

Consider one that has air/nitrox/timer functions. As your diving progresses, having an air only compass is inadequate.

Have a look at the suunto zoop, suunto d4, aladin 2g.

My first computer saw me through about 150 dives with air only, but I wish, I had purchased a nitrox/timer computer initially.

Again, personal opinion. I don't think a gas integrated computer is really that suitable or necessary for new divers.

A dive computer doesn't require servicing; A dip/soak in fresh water after every dive should be enough to keep your computer happy.
It is worth taking into account whether or not the battery can be changed by the user. Some computer batteries can be changed easily, others are much more tricky.

Nic

Last edited:
The following works for me. In no way this is an absolute truth.
I have a simple wrist mounted PDC Nitrox capable without Air integrated. I carry it in my right wrist together with my wrist compass. My reg set has a spg connected with a hose to one 1st stage HP port. I always carry with me my wrist watch in my left wrist.
I check regularly the air available in my tank and the air available in my buddy's tank, permanently. This is something that no diver should forget.
Besides the Air Integrated PDC the diver should have a backup spg connected to the 1st stage, a backup depth meter and a watch.
It's a rule that if you are diving following the plan with your PDC, and the PDC runs out of battery and turns off, the dive should be aborted and surface.
The console with spg and depth meter should be attached to your BCD with a retractil lanyard, to aviod it being dangling down.

I am planning on getting my own gear, once I do my open water dive. I see a lot of different options for dive computers: Dive computers w/ intergrated air and compass. Wrist mount vs console mounted.

I wonder if people with dive watches on their wrist w/o intergrated air, etc. check their air pressure reguarlly, since they are seperated.

I like the idea of not having things dangle down, though the wrist mount w/ remote seem pretty pricey.

How are the different brands, anyones to stay away from etc? Should I go with my LDS? Is this something that requires servicing regularly, etc?

Thanks in advance,

Hostage

It might be hard, but perhaps don't get in a hurry to purchase gear. Call around and see what people have, and rent it, and see if you like it.

Air integrated is nice, but what are you going to do if the transmitter quits? There you are, 60 feet below, and there's no signal. Immediately, your dive is aborted.

Unless you're like me, who has an analog gauge as well as the air-integrated wrist computer. Dive continues with minor annoyance. :wink:

I dive my wrist computers (some air integrated, some not). I do have a transmitter, but I also dive an analog gauge. I rarely use the integrated readings & mostly use the gauge. It is no big deal to just pick up the gauge & look at it. To be honest,... I've been kicking around the idea of selling my Vyper Air & its transmitter, since I don't use the transmitter & the computer is a bit too conservative for my technical diving.

For what it's worth, don't 'settle' for something now. Buy what you want and can afford, but plan for the future. As was mentioned, get a computer with nitrox capability. You'll eventually move on to that, and it's another expense later on to upgrade. I use a cobra 3 console, air integrated, on a retractor. Easy to reach down, pull the retractor and read the computer. When I'm not checking it, it's tight up against my bc. I am in the habit of checking my air frequently, and checking with my buddies on their supplies, too.

here you go ... How To Choose a Dive Computer

[video=youtube;GZ9derYb4dU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ9derYb4dU[/video]​

Alberto (aka eDiver)

My preference used to be AI wrist mount computer. Now if I can do it all over, I will take a computer with nitrox capability and gauge mode. Still wrist mount tho. I will use it in computer mode if I am on vacation, doing multiple recreational dive per day. For the rest of the time, I want to get used gauge mode and table. I prefer no AI transmitter tho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom