Exploding scuba tank kills one - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've often heard it said to be roughly equivalent to a stick of dynamite.
I copied this from Energy in a Scuba Tank
[h=1]E = P0*V0*450[/h]So for a 230 bar 12L tank we have 230*12*450 Joules. 1242000 joules!You're not impressed? You don't have a feel for a joule perhaps?
A joule is one watt for one second. so 1242000 joules is 3 kilowatts for just under 7 minutes.
That would boil 3.5 litres of water and so make coffee for everybody on the boat?
Still doesn't seem much does it? The trick is to release it in an instant.
In a previous life (see CV) I used a unit of energy that was 4.184x1012 joules representing the energy released by 1000 tons of TNT.
That works out at about 1866000 joules per pound.
In metric units the tank contains the energy in 300 grams of TNT. A normal hand grenade has about 150 grams.
Hum. That works out at 650 grams for my 10L twins at 300 bar.
Just behind my head? Now I see why people worry about it.

I read int that same article that the compressed gas in an AL80 could lift four locomotives 1 foot off the ground. :shocked2:

I read int that same article that the compressed gas in an AL80 could lift four locomotives 1 foot off the ground. :shocked2:
Rubbish

Ok. I've read this thread for day or two. Pro 6351 and con 6351. No disrespect to the victim, but why would any of us manipulate the facts to feel good? (ooh I did an eddy current test and the only way a tank fails is during the fill or hydro..so all is good) I don't know what an eddy current test costs on top the the hydro and the vip..., but if I had one, I'd buy a new one for cost of the tests plus $50.00.

FTR, you won't ge one filled here.

Let me introduce you to the power of hydraulics. A single 24" cylinder using 3000 PSI can lift 1,356,480 Lbs or 678 tons. A modern locomotive weighs in at around 240 - 250 Tons.

Reactions: Jax
Let me introduce you to the power of hydraulics. A single 24" cylinder using 3000 PSI can lift 1,356,480 Lbs or 678 tons. A modern locomotive weighs in at around 240 - 250 Tons.
Ok, I probably couldn't follow the calculations if you posted them. So 4 locomotives = 1,000 tons? You think one could lift 3 anyway? No, I wouldn't want anything with enough to lift one to go off in my room.

What is confusing the issue is the stored energy in a tank is capable of lifting the locomotive if all the energy is directed totally to lifting the locomotive. The energy in a tank exploding under a locomotive is not all directed at lifting the locomotive, actually very little is..

Wouldn't the explosion also escape from under the train in the explosion? Would it still be able to pick up the train? I honestly don't know the answer, but I'd trust a demolitions person or a physicist. Anyone on here either of those?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom