Exploding scuba tank kills one - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what bothers me with ponies. If shops refuse to hydro or inspect a tank simply because it is 6351 alloy, I can see where it might be tempting to just transfill it yourself. I am not saying that is what happened in this case. Of course, that would be like playing Russian roulette, but I wonder how many shops would refuse to do the hydro and visual if it was plainly stated that you intended to do the fills yourself?
I do admit that I transfill my pony ( not a 6351 alloy) to top it up, because I am not going to pay a full nitrox fill charge for a few cubic feet.

I'd like to ask a few questions:

1. Do we know for a fact that the tank that exploded is an aluminum tank?

2. If so, do we know for a fact that it was a 40 cubic fooot tank?

3. Do we know if the valve has been recovered?

4. If the valve is recovered, will we know if the burst disc was either defective or "doubled-up"?

5. Do we know where the victim got the tank filled?

6. Does the fact that the tank wall ruptured indicate that the burst disc must have been doubled-up?

The Latest Victim of 6351-T6 Scuba Tanks

I'm not a conspiracy minded person but I noticed the one link on this frightening website that doesn't work is the link to the people who many consider to be the genuine authority on this issue.

Used to agree with you, until Phil Ellis (Dive Sports) in Decatur had one fresh out of hydro and eddy-current testing crack (thank God it didn't explode) on its first post-inspection fill. We are retiring them all now.
Rick

I also have had the same experience except I found the thread crack upon re-examination with the eddy current machine.
It cracked through 4 threads during the hydro.

It was written by a member with no previous posts and he cited the source as "My friends Dad said"
I have not seen it confirmed anywhere being 6351 yet.

If the source is true, I wonder what led the police to visit his shop. If the tank was rejected by the shop, then presumably it would have no visual sticker or hydro stamp from that shop. Possibly because Russell's other tanks were inspected there, or possibly the source is bunk.
Since Russell's death has been ruled an accident, I would think the police would no longer investigate it, would the fire dept then continue to investigate it? Where might the tank be now?

Just a thought -- it may be nothing more than the police visiting every shop in the area. Seems reasonable, but just a guess. :idk:

I'd like to ask a few questions:

1. Do we know for a fact that the tank that exploded is an aluminum tank?

2. If so, do we know for a fact that it was a 40 cubic fooot tank?

3. Do we know if the valve has been recovered?

4. If the valve is recovered, will we know if the burst disc was either defective or "doubled-up"?

5. Do we know where the victim got the tank filled?

6. Does the fact that the tank wall ruptured indicate that the burst disc must have been doubled-up?

no, no, no, no ,no and no.

In fact we know very little FOR A FACT.. but that does not slow down the endless speculation.

(OK, maybe for # 4)

I sold all my old AL tanks for scrap last year, mainly because too many shops would not fill them no matter what tests were done
Did you keep the valves?
I apologize if I missed this earlier in the thread, but what constitutes "old" for an aluminum tank?
There were a couple of 6351 tanks made in 1990. Details in this link...

We do not know if this tanks was 6351 tho? :idk:

Did you keep the valves?

There were a couple of 6351 tanks made in 1990. Details in this link...

We do not know if this tanks was 6351 tho? :idk:

I gave the valves away. I have more tanks than a stick can be shaken at, so much so that my wife ordered me to allow the local shop to use some as rentals...

... my wife ordered me to allow the local shop to use some as rentals...
glad to know I'm not alone... got 6 of mine that live at the shop :)
Rick

Don, you can have my spare valves if you pay shipping (flat rate box). I have two from when I scrapped my tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom