Exploding scuba tank kills one - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don,

I agree that it is not that big a money deal, goodness knows I spend a lot more on equipment each year, but it just bothers me for everyone to jump on the 6351 bashing bandwagon. The risk associated with these tanks is minimal when cared for properly and serviced appropriately. Bringing it closer to home for you, I know that you feel strongly about CO testing of tanks. There are a lot more people injured/killed from CO poisoning each year than 6351 failures in the last decade. However, you are one of the few that says anything about CO monitoring.

Sparkle,

That was a good article. However, if you will look it is pointed out that eddy current testing was not done on these tanks. This would have and does catch the cracks before they blow.

I did not bring this up as a hijack but rather to pose the question that even if the tank involved in this instance was currently VIS Plus would the chance of a developing crack made it structually deficient to the point that a drop would set it off. Could this be the result of the in-between time of the crack developing but not to the point of being caught with VIS Plus and would not have failed on filling but could have with trauma?

Just food for thought (and discussion)

It was interesting that in one article (or.... someone said they read it somewhere?) the tank was reportedly taken in for a fill and rejected, then taken elsewhere. I haven't seen it mentioned again. Of course it could be under investigation, or just hearsay.

Oh, I think I remember now that it was written on Spearboard; I think it was a poster's dad, but I don't remember for sure.

... The risk associated with these tanks is minimal ...
Used to agree with you, until Phil Ellis (Dive Sports) in Decatur had one fresh out of hydro and eddy-current testing crack (thank God it didn't explode) on its first post-inspection fill. We are retiring them all now.
Rick

Oh, gosh! How could I forget those? Yes, well, if the tank's rated at 3300, why I'd be ok & not get nervous 'till at least 3600. But for regular old 80's with the 3000 psi working pressure, 3300's my "nervous number."
:)
Rick
I should also mention that I will not boost oxygen to over 3000 psi under any circumstances, regardless of tank rating or material.
Rick

I sold all my old AL tanks for scrap last year, mainly because too many shops would not fill them no matter what tests were done

I apologize if I missed this earlier in the thread, but what constitutes "old" for an aluminum tank?

It was interesting that in one article (or.... someone said they read it somewhere?) the tank was reportedly taken in for a fill and rejected, then taken elsewhere. I haven't seen it mentioned again. Of course it could be under investigation, or just hearsay.

Oh, I think I remember now that it was written on Spearboard; I think it was a poster's dad, but I don't remember for sure.
It was written by a member with no previous posts and he cited the source as "My friends Dad said"
I have not seen it confirmed anywhere being 6351 yet.

If the source is true, I wonder what led the police to visit his shop. If the tank was rejected by the shop, then presumably it would have no visual sticker or hydro stamp from that shop. Possibly because Russell's other tanks were inspected there, or possibly the source is bunk.
Since Russell's death has been ruled an accident, I would think the police would no longer investigate it, would the fire dept then continue to investigate it? Where might the tank be now?

I apologize if I missed this earlier in the thread, but what constitutes "old" for an aluminum tank?
Many shops just use pre-1990. Search - 6351 alloy scuba tanks - for a chart by manufacturer and tank size, for actual last manufacture dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom