Exploding scuba tank kills one - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the world of risk I wonder which group experiences more negative consequences - the LDS worker who must deal with a DIY'r or customers who must deal with shoddy LDS service/repairs.

Good question, If I was to hazard a guess I would have to go with the group with the least available resources or knowledge. I doubt the percentages of events would actually differ, however, would suspect the volume to be heavy on one side.

I can always, inspect any cylinder that comes in the door before I fill it. (I don't have to charge for a VIP, If I have a red flag I am going to look) I have the resources. We offer free pool time to any customer that has work done to equipment so they may test the repair services. 99% of the time they won't. I expect issues with equipment coming in the door, customers expect perfection coming out. I am not shocked when I run across issues, and they are when it occurs. (Yes, my staff and I are not perfect but we are close :D)

Now as to the blowing up vs drowning, I prefer the risk of drowning over the risk of being blown up. Every time a cylinder lets go I always jump and found it to be unexpected regardless of the procedures and tests before hand. Since I test, have procedures and checks in place before diving, I won't be drowning over an equipment failure.

There was a thread a couple of months ago in which people spoke blithely about getting visual inspection stickers off of the internet and slapping them on their tanks annually to save the cost and bother of the annual inspection. I was surprised by the number of people who saw nothing wrong with that. I wonder if they are having second thoughts now.

I just did a visual inspection of two of my tanks a couple of days ago. With this thread in mind, my inspection was probably the most careful I have ever done.

A VIP inspection is cheap insurance. Why anyone would print a sticker of their own out, I'm guessing with no training, is beyond me & it not only potentially creates a hazard to fill station personnel (and anyone in the shop at the time, as most accidents happen while filling a tank.)

One thing accidents do for any sport is generally make people slow down bit & think. I'm glad you took the time to do a more through inspection & hope you have the training to know what to look for, not only in threads, but other aspects of inspection as well.

VIP stickers online:no: I would hope people would have their tanks inspected by someone with the proper training AND take their own look & ask questions if there is anything that looks out of order! Two pairs of eyes are better than one & you can learn a lot by watching, asking questions & learning about your own gear (and possibly finding a problem a tech may have over-looked.)

Many more safe days getting wet for everyone!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has become nothing more than an attraction for off-topic discussions (recent paint can discussion has been removed). If anyone has something on-topic to add, send me a PM and I'll review it and post it if it's relevant. Otherwise, thread closed.

Russell Vanhorn II, a 23-year-old Iraqi War veteran
who fell in love with diving after getting certified during
his military service, was preparing for a dive trip in his
St. Petersburg, FL, apartment early on the morning of
September 11 when the small pony tank he was handling
exploded, killing him.
The explosion blew out the front door and windows of
his apartment, and sent debris flying 75 feet away, and blowing
out some windows of cars parked nearby. The tank was
found split down the middle from top to bottom, lodged
overhead in what was left of the kitchen ceiling. Luckily, the
two other people in his apartment were in separate rooms
and were not injured.
A witness getting his morning newspaper told police he
saw a bright flash when the explosion happened, suggesting
the tank held pure oxygen. But the medical examiner
who did the autopsy said it’s still not clear what triggered
the blast. When investigators reassembled the tank, they
discovered that the escape valve, which controls pressure of
the gases, was missing, but they found it in the explosion
rubble two days after Vanhorn’s death. The cause of death
was ruled accidental, with the explosion causing severe damage
to Vanhorn’s side, leg and arm. Also, it has not been
determined whether it was air or oxygen in the tank, as the
autopsy showed no signs of a heat-generating type of explosion,
like burning tissue.
As it turns out, two of the tanks in the apartment were
confirmed as stolen, although police had not yet determined
if the exploding pony tank was as well. The Tampa Police
Department’s bomb squad inspected the tanks and let the
air out, but it’s unknown if they measured tank pressure or
mixes before doing so.
Vanhorn worked as a dive instructor for Scuba West
in Hudson, FL, which reported the tanks missing. Scuba
West had recently fired him when he stole a dive reel from
the shop, and an employee found it in his bag. The St.
Petersburg Times reports that a Scuba West client reported
seeing Vanhorn with the shop’s tanks at Eagle Nest, a local
cave diving spot, in July. And just before Vanhorn’s death,
ScubaWest reported some equipment missing, including
seven tanks, four dive lights and a regulator, although
authorities said there was no evidence yet to charge
Vanhorn for all the stolen gear.
The demolished tank was sent to Pinellas County’s
forensic lab for signs of anything combustible, then the tank
will be given to the U.S. Transportation Department, which
regulates pressure cylinders, to determine what went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom