Oahu camera shop or dive shop with knowledge of u/w photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lonebrave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking about getting an u/w rig, but not sure if I want to go dSLR or P&S. I shoot a D200 on land, manual 95% of the time. I've been lurking in the Nikon and Canon forums here and reading info all over the 'net trying to figure out which way I want to go. Basically just looking for some folks that know what they're talking about, can answer questions, and can help me make a decision.

I know I want something that can shoot full manual and RAW. If I choose dSLR, I'm not sure if upgrading to a newer body is an option (I don't know what my budget is, yet...kind of depends on if I can justify the cost when I figure out what I would really like to have). P&S contenders are the S95 and G12. I'd like to put hands on both of the Canons and see how I like them topside; if I decide to go P&S, it'll likely replace my wife's P&S for topside shooting in addition to being my u/w rig.

I found Lighthaus and Kaimuki, plus the normal chain stores (Ritz, etc). Any other options? Any dive shops that know their stuff when it comes to u/w photography?

The Canon s100 just came out. My wife bought one 2 weeks ago at Best Buy... she'd heard rumors on dpreview.com that they were stocking a limited number of them, went to the store didn't see it displayed, but found one in the box below the s95 displayed. The sales help didn't even know what the price was and the manager wasn't aware he even had one in the store. It's a touch smaller, full HD video, better ISO/noise performance, adjustable focus point (rather than center only) as opposed to the s95. I'd get it over a G12 (had a G9 and loved it). It's got most of the features of the G12, you just may have to go through a few more menu options. The housing should be downright small compared to a DSLR, but it wouldn't surprise me if availability doesn't occur right away.

Housing your DSLR will be pricey, and one you do it you'll be getting into ports and other neat stuff to house different lenses.

I debated on an s90 and an Olympus Pen epl-1 a couple years back, went with the Pen. I'm kicking myself at times. Love the camera, it's just big for what I do.

I use a G12 at work. If you would like to see it, send me a PM. I also like the Sea&Sea DX-1G...great if you like macro.

...It's got most of the features of the G12, you just may have to go through a few more menu options.
My wife currently uses an SD750. The one thing that drives me nuts is the difficulty of doing any manual shooting with it b/c it's all menu driven. I'm too used to having dedicated shutter and aperture wheels on my D200, where I can quickly adjust the exposure with just a quick turn of a dial without having to think about it and take my eye off my subject.

if you are really into it dont blow money going step by step, you will get the s100 and its great for using one handed. but in the end you will grow out of it, how long that take depends on how often you dive. had the g11, have the g12 which I hardly use anymore, have canon T3i which is where I am going to stay for awhile. also have a Sony cybershot tx10 i use when I have divers cause its housing is small.all are great cameras, the canons will let you go raw, but personally, I feel raw is over rated, if you need to edit that much...you missed the shot. jmho. also I do teach an underwater photography class that goes way beyond what the specialty (padi) offers.

Marco...what kind of housing are you using for your T3i? Does Canon make housings?

The question you need to ask yourself is how in depth you want to get with your photography? A mid to high end P&S will take some great shots if you take some time and learn how to use it.
If you're into higher end photos, then you should consider the DSLR. It is a bit expensive, but the difference is remarkable.
You also need to factor in the cost of strobes. By the time you're finished you can spend quite a bit of money.
As for the RAW issue, it really isn't for detailed editing. It's more a function of white balance and color correction. It can mean the difference between blue-green and washed out and nice colors.
Just my .02
Charlie

Back
Top Bottom