Flooded SPG - Improper Rinsing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SPG should be no more than a backup anyway, you should know how much gas you have left at all times even without it.

To abort the dive yes. Otherwise, you are claiming the SPG is redundant for some 'expectation' of gas consumption. Unsafe premise. Yes, an experienced diver can predict his gas consumtion, but he still checks the SPG to confirm it. Otherwise, how would you account for unexpected gas loss, or elevated SAC?

I see the symptoms of 'internet education' in some of your posts. My advice is to be mindful of stating 'facts' when you haven't got the knowledge or experience to know whether they are actually 'facts' or just a product of assumptions based on a very limited diving experience and stuff you read online.

What I can read in your posts:

1) You've done a limited amount of diving and never experienced this problem.
2) You dive technical kit, but don't know how to use it or the proper procedures to implement for a given problem.
3) You haven't experienced a real-world equipment failure, or gas loss.
4) You want everyone to think you're very knowledgeable.

--------------------

@ Griff... Dude, you're an instructor - so I'm pretty sure you can differentiate the good advice from the bad in this thread.

Personally, as a fellow instructor, I wouldn't take the chance with re-using the SPG. As Dumpster said, sooner-or-later it's gonna crap out on you. Might be in a year's time... it might be next week. I wouldn't want that worry hanging over me.

Do you use pony cylinders at all? As a compromise.. leave the SPG out to fully dry out (disconnect from HP). Get a new SPG for your regs and stick the flooded one on a pony rig.. and see how it gets along for a few months. Even then, it's hardly worth the effort given the price of a new one.

I'm guessing the rinse tank was fresh water? You're probably be ok to strip down the 1st stage and give it clean (I assume that isn't a problem, as you've mentioned stripping down the SPG).

Perhaps you should get that experience, before you start insulting people who have?

Dude, you started the face palming. If you don't manage to stay civilized there is no reason to start crying when you get impolite replies. I respect and appreciate your opinions, but this time you were a bit too trigger happy.

The good news is, as LouieLouie said, it was not the accidental bath that left visible water droplets in your SPG. Such water can o nly enter through some some type of failure of the case. Water that enters through the hose is trapped in the coiled, sealed tube inside the SPG that serves to sense the pressure changes.

Some older metal SPGs can be disassembled, cleaned, and resealed but those are somewhat rare. Newer SPG tend to be glued (plastic) or crimped (metal) and can not be repaired. So, even if your SPG will continue to function for a while, the situation is not going to get better and leak will continue so expect to see more water.

Time to start shopping for a replacement. If you have use for a PG for surface use only, you could open the case (remove the rubber blowout plug), clean out the water, add a little corrosion inhibitor and you are in business.

Griff... Dude, you're an instructor - so I'm pretty sure you can differentiate the good advice from the bad in this thread.

Personally, as a fellow instructor, I wouldn't take the chance with re-using the SPG. As Dumpster said, sooner-or-later it's gonna crap out on you. Might be in a year's time... it might be next week. I wouldn't want that worry hanging over me.

Do you use pony cylinders at all? As a compromise.. leave the SPG out to fully dry out (disconnect from HP). Get a new SPG for your regs and stick the flooded one on a pony rig.. and see how it gets along for a few months. Even then, it's hardly worth the effort given the price of a new one.

I'm guessing the rinse tank was fresh water? You're probably be ok to strip down the 1st stage and give it clean (I assume that isn't a problem, as you've mentioned stripping down the SPG).

I'm was planning on stripping down the first stage tomorrow... and I will be purchasing a new SPG, I was just wondering, thats all..

Cheers all

A little off topic, but just wondering, don't you have a dust cap for your DIN first stage?

I use a DIN first stage, and I have a dust cap that screws on before I clean my regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom