Best Travel BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Zeagle express tech weighting works either by wearing a weight belt, or buying a Zeagle weight system. For a BP/W system most people use a belt or there are other options like the DUI weight harness. The express tech is like a BP only more propriety. I would go with the BP/W over the express tech, but if you spend another year+ thinking about it your options may change!

I use a Zeagle Stiletto for warm water travel. For cold I have been using a BP to reduce weight on a belt. But it means I travel with a 12lbs plate/STA.

+ 1 for the DSS kydex BP/W. Paired with a 26 lbs Wing, its what I am using both for local dives and travels. If your preference is under 20 lbs Wing, they have the 17 lbs Wing Lift which you can pair off with the kydex BP. Plus the company's after sales service and support is excellent. When my wing developed a puncture (as a result of flat-pinch, or stated otherwise due to carelessness attributable entirely to my own fault), less than a year from purchase, the Company-DSS went out of its way by repairing the same and changing the inner bladder, free of charge and when it was returned to me, there was even a note as to where I can view instructional materials for proper care for and avoid flat-pinching the wing, especially when transporting my gear.

I don't see any other equipment manufacturer extending that level of service to its customers. So if I were you, I'd go for DSS.

See - I can use the search feature. :)

Anyone have experience and opinions now on the Zuma?

My wife and I are going to invest in all new gear after 20 years and we are going all travel friendly. We are diving more now that the kids are bigger and I want to use my gear instead of renting so much. I am very interested in travel regs also, but am seriously looking at the Zuma.

Thanks for any new input.

I have the Zuma + Apeks flight regulator... The Zuma is very stable underwater, almost feels like you do not have it on... However, I am a bit concerned about its durability as it is only 600 denier nylon... Only time will tell I suppose... The Apeks Flight is awesome! Breathes very nice and super light! Ended up getting a set for my girlfriend for our trip down to Cozumel in Dec...

Last edited:
It was actually NetDoc's thread on the Zeagle Express Tech that initially brought me to this site (through the googles). I've got my Advanced OW with about 15 dives in the past year, about to go double that on a 4-day liveaboard at Similan and Richelieu Rock in Thailand this coming January (and probably round it out in Malaysia). My friend I'm going with has started shopping for his own gear (he has a few more dives than me but started much much earlier), which has prompted me to do the same, which means endless research!

I'm not quite convinced I want to make any purchases yet (as the liveaboard is already a pretty penny and is "all-inclusive" so there's no need), and I try to travel as light as possible... but I'll admit there's allure to having my own gear... especially after a rental BCD's button got stuck and rocketed me to the surface at the beginning of a night dive earlier this year... scary stuff.

As such, I've been looking for the best travel BCD and I keep coming back to the Zeagle Express Tech, which not only gets rave reviews and is pretty inexpensive, it's so small and light at first I couldn't help but wonder if it would actually work. My understanding is a couple of D-rings and a crotch strap is all that's really missing. I've alway been perfectly comfortable with a weight belt, so all this integrated weight system stuff seems unnecessary anyways. The downside is I'm reluctant to pull the trigger without first trying one on, and up until now I've only used vest-style BCDs like the Mares Prestige, so I'm interested in seeing what a BP&W setup would dive like but unsure if I'd prefer it. Also I figure if I'm going to the trouble of buying a BCD, it'd be nice to know if the rig could grow with me in case I decide to do different/more techie dives in the future...

I'm pretty happy with my Cressi Travelight (the vest style). It does have a few quirks though. If you use the back weight pockets (high ... like tank strap pockets) they can allow a weight to slip out around the flap while you are inverted. I now but the loose weight in a mesh bag (like a Zeagle weight bag) before I put it in the BC pocket to add some bulk. The other thing is that you must follow directions when cinching the tank strap. It's very secure but don't even think about letting someone else put your BC on a tank .... it WILL be loose. You really need to cinch it tight with the correct method. That said, it's very comfortable, trims nicely, and packs well. Quality seems to be very good.

Back
Top Bottom