Best Travel BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Boswell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am looking to buy 2 lightweight, very compact and minimal, inexpensive BCDs for travel to warm water destinations. These could be either BPW or BCD, and would not need more than 20# of lift.

So far, the best deal I have found is the Zeagle Express Tech which sells for about $249 in most places - that's about as cheap a rig as I can find, but still more than I want to pay. I think you need to buy weight pockets for these, so it's actually more money in the end.

Can anyone recommend a less expensive alternative?

Check out the Mares ICON. It comes with integrated and trim weight pockets and doesn't weigh much. I travel all over the world with it.

Checkout a BP&W :wink:

When I dive I like to be comfortable and familliar with my gear so when I travel I use the same gear I dive with allthe time. My single tank equipment (a simple BP wing), wetsuit and regs plus my basic gear all weighs in at less than 20 Kg (in a roller bag).

You do not need weight pockets with the Zeagle. Just buy an 8 dollar belt and use that. Most resorts I've been to have hard weights that slide on any way. The cam band pockets I put on mine are nice but not always used. If I'm using a steel 95 and 3 mil I have my belt on with 2 one pound weights and that's it. With an al 80 I have 2# in each cam band and 2# in each of two pockets on the belt for fresh and 3# in each of two and two 1# for salt with a 3 mil and al 80. I use a 4 pocket belt I put together

You guys already use backplate setups, don't you? Why not pick up an aluminum or Kydex plate, and use your existing wing? That's what I do when I do tropical diving -- although I also have to confess that I have a DSS Tropical Travel Wing that's a sweet little thing. But I've traveled with my Kydex plate and 30 lb wing for a long time before I had the TTW17.

Try looking at the Zuma by Aqualung. Its a sweet little BC, has weight integration, small folding pocket, badded back and arm straps, and its very lightweight. It can hold around 20 Lbs according to their website and it can be rolled and put into your BC. I bought one and looking forward to using it in two weeks.

You guys already use backplate setups, don't you? Why not pick up an aluminum or Kydex plate, and use your existing wing? That's what I do when I do tropical diving -- although I also have to confess that I have a DSS Tropical Travel Wing that's a sweet little thing. But I've traveled with my Kydex plate and 30 lb wing for a long time before I had the TTW17.
@Mike Boswell: This is exactly what my girlfriend and I do. We each spent a little over $100 to get an AL or Kydex plate + harness stuff. We bring along the same 30 lb. lift wings we use in San Diego. No need to buy another BCD.

If weight becomes a serious issue look at the Oxycheq Ultralite Plate + 18lbs travel wing it packs pretty small and is very light. Although I believe it ends up being more expensive than what you want. I travelled with that + the other necessary gear is SE-Asia for a month and a half this winter, and really liked the setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom