Wetsuit for Izu/Niigata

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andydob27

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How thick is your wetsuit for summer diving around Tokyo?

I will be diving a bunch this summer in Izu and off of Niigata. I'm used to tropical/warmer waters and only own a shorty. This would be a May at the very earliest till October at the very latest. How thick should my wetsuit be?

Will 5mm be enough? Thanks for your input.

Andy

That really depends on your tolerance for cold. I know many people that dive a 5mm in that area but also some that do a drysuit year round. I would dive a 7mm semi-dry in May up there but I am spoiled down here in Okinawa and anything under 25C is freezing for me.

You will need a drysuit for May-June in Izu and I think also Niigata. Late July-October is ok for short dives with a 3mm. I do not recommend a 7mm, better then with a dry.

Hi Andy,
Diving off Izu (mostly west Izu for me) and some of the Izu islands (Oshima, Shikinejima) according to my logbooks average min temps at depth are around:
Celsius: May 16 degC, Jun 22 deg, Jul 22, Aug 23, Sep 25, Oct 24, Nov 22, Dec 17
Fahrenheit: May 66, Jun 77, Jul 77, Aug 79, Sep 83, Oct 80, Nov 76, Dec 68
This is just for an indication. For me personally, I dive a 5mm with a 2mm vest from end of June up to October.
Nov would be fine as far as the water is concerned but it gets chilly outside of the water :p

I wouldn't be able to comment on Niigata though, please let us know what the diving is like there!

Thanks Adonama.

I think I'll go with the 5mm. I have a 3mm vest as well for earlier/later in the season. And if it is around 16 degrees in May...I'll probably wait till June.

I used to dive really cold Monterey Bay dives in a 7mm suit all the time...

By the way I live in Tokyo and still have and dive with 5mm and 7mm suits. Would you like a dive buddy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom