dive hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwayne

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have Tmj problems and i am having a hard time finding a hood that is comfortable and does not push my jaw shut. Anyone found anything that works well?

TMJ is a rough problem and I can imagine your difficulties.
You haven't told us what type of diving you do but looking at your profile I'm thinking you might be diving wet.

Henderson makes a"microprene" hood that is extremely comfortable in terms of fit and ease of donning and doffing.
I find I can wear this hood with my 5 mil and be very warm. My students report the same. It gives you needed thermal protection without the constriction other hoods may give you.

The SeaSoft Pro3 is built with crushed neoprene and the panels are put together in such a way as to avoid pressure near your jaw hinges. It has 5 different panels and the jaw has no sean in the center like may designs. It is the most comfortable hood I've ever worn and I experience no jaw fatigue at all.

I use the Henderson while diving wet and a SeaSoft Drysuit Hood when diving dry. Both will last for years and keep your head toasty warm. My latest Henderson has over 400 dives and my SeaSoft has over 160.

When putting on the hood try turning the hood up about half way and placing it on your head. Then roll the "neck" down over your ears and down to your collar. Reverse this process when removing it and I think you might be able to minimalize the pain associated with your condition.

Good luck with your diving.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

I have TMJ also. I have a DUI Hood. I dive wet with it in cold water and have had no issues. The hood is 5 mm and is vented to release trapped air, but has no bib. I did not want a hood with a bib, just a personal preferance. While you are at it do your self a favor. Get a Sea Cure Mouthpiece. It has helped me out a lot.

I have Tmj problems and i am having a hard time finding a hood that is comfortable and does not push my jaw shut. Anyone found anything that works well?

I've found wide variation in material stretch and fit, in identical products, from the same manufacturer. I've got a mondo cabeza, hat racks fear me. I finally settled on the Sea Soft dry hood mentioned above, and it leaves my jaw in a comfortable, neutral position throughout my dive.

Thanks for all the input. I ordered the seasoft 3mm but i will try the DUI next if that doesn't work out. Thanks for the advice about the sea cure mouthpiece. I actually just recently purchased it and also found that it works well and is very comfortable. That was the 5th mouthpiece that I tried and i was glad to finally find something that worked.

Depending on the thickness of the hodd ( I usually wear a 3 mil ) I have found that for me a hooded sleeveless vest is easier to wear (and has more thermal retention) effect than a "pullover. You might add that option to your problem solving exploration.
DivemasterDennis

I switched from a basic hood to a Henderson H2 7/5mm which i find very comfy, has less resistance to head movement, fits better and is just as warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom