PADI E-Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the guys I work with got his cert with SSI a good number of years ago. He lost his card and needed another. They were able to find it and put him in the system again, but it took a little time and work on their part. His was part of the certs that never made it to electronic version. It was still in a file folder somewhere. You can try that route.
Thanks, but I still have the card and it's only OW that I did with SSI. I just checked out of curiosity.

My question is what if some "Diver" went and did decide to buy all of their certs for their phone (That as mentioned most people dont carry with them out of the country on a dive boat) and had say 10. So this "Diver" just spent 370 dollars on digital copies. Now he gets a phone virus and wipes all of them out. Does he have to spend 370 more dollars to replace them? Why cant Padi just charge say 2.00 for whats already on file and send it to the diver at a one time cost. Never again if the phone was lost would the diver have to pay to replace the ecards either.

Im strictly a PADI diver and support most of what they do but this really kind of looks like they are insulting the divers intelligence. Its like saying " I need money and these idiots will give it to me no matter what I do so let me sell them nothing for A TON of cash. They are so stupid they will open their wallets just to donate to my wallet."

I want to take the boat diving specialty and then get the boat diving E-Card. NOT!!!! Why is it they first offer some bone headed courses like boat diver then charge an outrageous fee for you to have a card on your phone saying you passed it. Honestly if it was not free with my renewal I would not have gotten my Divemaster E-Card!

47 dollars is a good chunk of change for some virus to get on your phone and erase!

I used to think the boat diver specialty was stupid, then I went out on boats with new divers. There's a lot of clueless people out there and every single person I've certified as a boat diver (just did one recently in fact) has been super appreciative. I've even had other dive boat operators contact me to thank me for training divers so well about boat etiquette.

Who goes on vacation down in the islands and carries a phone or an iPad down to the beach or the dive center? I carry a nice lightweight, waterproof little cert card and show it to the dive op and then throw it into a pocket and forget about it.
It seems silly to me. But, whoever buys the eCard is doing so of their own free will. Can't blame PADI for selling them if people are buying them!

I'm even lazier, I have all of my cards in Evernote (just in case), but if the shop asks to see a card, I just have them look it up online. Hasn't been a problem yet.

My question is what if some "Diver" went and did decide to buy all of their certs for their phone (That as mentioned most people dont carry with them out of the country on a dive boat) and had say 10. So this "Diver" just spent 370 dollars on digital copies. Now he gets a phone virus and wipes all of them out. Does he have to spend 370 more dollars to replace them? Why cant Padi just charge say 2.00 for whats already on file and send it to the diver at a one time cost. Never again if the phone was lost would the diver have to pay to replace the ecards either.

Im strictly a PADI diver and support most of what they do but this really kind of looks like they are insulting the divers intelligence. Its like saying " I need money and these idiots will give it to me no matter what I do so let me sell them nothing for A TON of cash. They are so stupid they will open their wallets just to donate to my wallet."

No, the diver would just re-download the PADI app, login and all of the ecards would be there again. Now if they switched between iPhone and Android, they'd have to re-buy them again (that's what I was told at DEMA at least).

Me either, perhaps you need to pay for a reply.

I actually want to pay them money (I need some PIC's) and it's been over a week since I emailed them with my pre-order question, so paying them doesn't seem to be the motivation these days either :confused:

I used to think the boat diver specialty was stupid, then I went out on boats with new divers. There's a lot of clueless people out there and every single person I've certified as a boat diver (just did one recently in fact) has been super appreciative. I've even had other dive boat operators contact me to thank me for training divers so well about boat etiquette.

I'm even lazier, I have all of my cards in Evernote (just in case), but if the shop asks to see a card, I just have them look it up online. Hasn't been a problem yet.

No, the diver would just re-download the PADI app, login and all of the ecards would be there again. Now if they switched between iPhone and Android, they'd have to re-buy them again (that's what I was told at DEMA at least).

I actually want to pay them money (I need some PIC's) and it's been over a week since I emailed them with my pre-order question, so paying them doesn't seem to be the motivation these days either :confused:

I think the newly implemented "email reply fee" must be more than the card fee.

Gets better folks - geek here, so I bought the ecards, loaded up the app on my Galaxy 10.1 just to see what they looked like before bothering to type on the friggin miniture keyboard on my phone [no one would ever carry a tablet out to dive] but I wanted to see them before bothering to load the app/ecards to the phone, they looked kinda cool. Next I downloaded the app to my phone, message came up that I didn't have any ecards on file to download! After digging around, found out that it's not just $50 for your ecard, it's $50 for every different type of device you have !!! So if you have Bberrys, iPhones, iPads, Droids etc. you'll have to pay $50 for each ecard for EACH device. As you can imagine, I don't really get to pick what device each person in my family gets, so we have phones/pads with three different operating systems, to PADI that translates to $150 per ecard [times at least two for Adv OW and Nitrox as a min] if I want my cards for everyone's phone. I'm going to try to reach PADI and see what's up - the cost is silly enough, but having to pay for every type of device is just insanity. I guess I'm going to have to stick with plastic if this is how it's going to be with PADI.

Gets better folks - geek here, so I bought the ecards, loaded up the app on my Galaxy 10.1 just to see what they looked like before bothering to type on the friggin miniture keyboard on my phone [no one would ever carry a tablet out to dive] but I wanted to see them before bothering to load the app/ecards to the phone, they looked kinda cool. Next I downloaded the app to my phone, message came up that I didn't have any ecards on file to download! After digging around, found out that it's not just $50 for your ecard, it's $50 for every different type of device you have !!! So if you have Bberrys, iPhones, iPads, Droids etc. you'll have to pay $50 for each ecard for EACH device. As you can imagine, I don't really get to pick what device each person in my family gets, so we have phones/pads with three different operating systems, to PADI that translates to $150 per ecard [times at least two for Adv OW and Nitrox as a min] if I want my cards for everyone's phone. I'm going to try to reach PADI and see what's up - the cost is silly enough, but having to pay for every type of device is just insanity. I guess I'm going to have to stick with plastic if this is how it's going to be with PADI.

Here's the PADI link to the answer on charges by device - to find it you have to search their site or Google - no where is this stated during ordering and there is no link to this FAQ from the ecard pages.

https://www.padi.com/scuba/login.aspx?id=17962&terms=ecard

Way down at the bottom is the Q/A that says you have to buy multiple vers of your ecard for each device. I just ran a dummy order for another card to see if I just missed reading some fine print along the way - no where did I see where it said I was buying a single OS licence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom