Vortex revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, never dived it but tempted after the show (and before I cause a sh!t storm yes I have a card that says cave). Does Vortex have flow? Difficult to judge from the video, my impression from other web sites is Ginnie type flow. Is it suited for a newer cave diver?
If you come all the way from Africa, make Vortex the last stop and a maybe at that. Its an hour dive at best if you dont mind tight and deep. All caves compared its the most boring one in Florida.

I have never seen it with ginnie like flow. It has a little flow, but not much. My opinion is skip it. I believe, not sure about this , but i think some of the video, the reenactments, for Jill's doc. was shot in other caves, not just vortex. Robert is following this thread, maybe he can confirm or deny this. If you are coming all the way over here to dive, don't waist your time with it.

David

Some scenes were at other caves.

The "Disappeared" program includes a small amount of Jill Heinerth's video shot at Vortex while she and Paul conducted an independent search for Ben McDaniel. Any other footage that appears in this TV program, I have no idea where or when it was shot, but it is not by Jill. Our documentary film, "Ben's Vortex" is completely independent of the "Disappeared" program. Our only connection to "Disappeared" is the HD Vortex footage we licensed to them. (And, some of our friends and colleagues appear in both.) We have not seen the "Disappeared" episode.
We expect to release "Ben's Vortex" sometime in summer of 2012.

The "Disappeared" program includes a small amount of Jill Heinerth's video shot at Vortex while she and Paul conducted an independent search for Ben McDaniel. Any other footage that appears in this TV program, I have no idea where or when it was shot, but it is not by Jill. Our documentary film, "Ben's Vortex" is completely independent of the "Disappeared" program. Our only connection to "Disappeared" is the HD Vortex footage we licensed to them. (And, some of our friends and colleagues appear in both.) We have not seen the "Disappeared" episode.

Thanks for clearing that up. Based on the article, I thought that the Disappeared show was "Ben's Vortex" that they had re-labled (renamed) for their production.

Oh I forgot the other stuff is just in your documentary. Looking forward to that one.

Reactions: Jax
Vortex is a unique spring/cave and it was worth driving from Key Largo to dive it. The Crawzillas (Huge black crawdads with white spots) are unique to that system and are way cool. Also, the number of eels is also unique to that spring. Mind you, these aren't troglodytes and you'll find them only in the mouth. There are a few other cave systems in the area which are also unique and worth diving... at least once.

The crawfish at Vortex are not unique to Vortex. The number of eels at Vortex are recipricated at other caves in the panhandle, and exceeded in some. You will find the eels not only at the mouth of the cave, but also 100s to 1000' back. Most of the other caves in the area warrant multiple dives to appreciate and are far more interesting. Vortex itself really just isn't worth the time or money unless are simply there for some other reason(ie, social).

yea I've seen eels pretty far back at other caves. never been to that ****hole at vortex so I can't speak to that...

Well, there you go. I haven't seen them at other cave systems and they are plentiful there. What can I say? I liked Vortex Springs. I found it to be unique and worth diving. I'll be diving it again at some point I hope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom