Where can someone get advanced training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Consider that if the OP is looking for technical training, he/she may not yet realize that many, many very experienced technical diving instructors DO NOT WORK in or own DIVE SHOPS.

Unlike sport diving instructors, tech instructors tend to be individual business men and women who prefer to work independently. It then follows that in order to fully research the opportunities to find good training, one has to look beyond the purview of the traditional LDS.

Does anyone know where the OP is situated. That might help us to make suggestions.

The answer lies within the instructor. There are a number of us who teach beyond the minimum standards for various reasons. You just have to find one that is convenient to you. In my OW class, you are expected to have great trim, buoyancy, control and be able to do anti-silting kicks before I certify you. No, it's not a long or arduous course and I accomplish this in a couple of pool sessions and 4 or 5 OW dives. That being said, I only teach private or semi-private classes, so the student gets a lot more of my individual attention and I have a method of progression that makes it fun and painless. While I am exceedingly proud of how I teach, I am not the only one who does this. NWGratefulDiver, Jim Lapenta and others here on ScubaBoard also teach to a higher level than the agencies require. We can be an insufferable bunch when it comes to talking about how we train our students, but there are few out there who would deny that we are passionate about what we do. Again, we are not the only ones who do this, we just seem to be the most vocal. :D

When I describe a class and the standards I have for it I am not preaching. I am offering a detailed description of what to expect and why. Every class should do that. You should know exactly to what standards you are being taught, what the instructor has added, and more importantly, with training beyond the OW level, what you are not getting. With OW and traininbg beyond it, the things that are left out are often times where the major differences are. How do you know what is left out? Simple, ask the shop or instructor how their classes and standards compare to others. Especially agency standards and the standards of the instructor themselves. Ask to see in writing the S&P and course requirements.

If you're looking for technical training, start by going to the various websites of the different agencies. GUE/UTD and TDI all have an ability to search for instructors by class. You're going to have to read about classes to determine which you'd like to do.

Otherwise, like everyone before me has said - talk to the divers in your area who you respect and find out who they used.

I wasn't happy with my options in my area and so it turns out that my instrucor lives on the east coast (some 2,500+ miles away) and I have to meet him various places to get training. How'd I meet him? On a boat, while diving. That's sort of how it happens.

It would be helpful if we knew where you are - then maybe folks in your area could recommend someone for you to talk to.

GUE Fundamentals is not a "near tech" class, unless you want it to be. It can be taken in a single tank, and is extremely worthwhile. UTD Essentials can be, too.

One of the reasons I constantly recommend these two classes is because of precisely the confusion you're suffering right now. The problem is that high quality instruction is scattered, and when it is offered under the aegis of the traditional agencies, it can be very difficult to distinguish from classes taught to minimums, which are not very useful in fine-tuning skills at all. You can find good instructors by their reputation here, for sure, but they may or may not be in your geographical area.

The reason you are getting a lot of information about technical type stuff is because tech classes (especially cave) can almost be counted upon to demand better skills from the diver. People recommend what they can depend upon. Recreational classes are much more hit or miss, and you need to know the local reps.

So - what does it mean to be a "better and safer diver?"

Let's assume that means:

• Good team skills
  • Excellent buoyancy and trim
  • Proper gear configuration
  • Effective use of appropriate kicks
  • Proper gas management
  • Understands and can execute safety drills

Seems like you could dive a lot and receive mentoring from more experienced divers and practice skills and drills until you were polished in your execution.

I don't think it would be out of line to suggest a GUE Fundies class either. :) Hope that doesn't stir the pot too much.

All of those things go a long way toward making someone a better and safer diver ... but you can have all of those things and not be a safer diver if you suck at making good decisions. We see it constantly in the Incidents and Accidents forum ... divers who are very experienced, very trained, and very skilled doing stupid things that get them injured or killed ... or worse yet, putting someone else in danger.

Being a better, safer diver starts with your mentality toward the dive. Do you plan and conduct dives within the limits of your training and experience level? Do you make an honest attempt to understand and prepare for dealing with the potential risks? Do you make an honest assessment of your abilities? Do you choose dive companions based on compatible mentality toward safe diving?

These and many other considerations factor into whether or not you're a better, safer diver.

I've known divers who were very inexperienced and not very skilled who I would consider better, safer divers than many I have met who are far more skilled and experienced. What makes them better and safer is their mental approach. This is one of the most important lessons I learned from my alpha mentor, Uncle Pug ... safe diving is as much about how you mentally approach the dive as it is about your skills. His gentle admonishment ... "you need to rethink your approach to that dive" ... did more to make me a better, safer diver than any class I ever took.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

All of those things go a long way toward making someone a better and safer diver ... but you can have all of those things and not be a safer diver if you suck at making good decisions. We see it constantly in the Incidents and Accidents forum ... divers who are very experienced, very trained, and very skilled doing stupid things that get them injured or killed ... or worse yet, putting someone else in danger.

Being a better, safer diver starts with your mentality toward the dive. Do you plan and conduct dives within the limits of your training and experience level? Do you make an honest attempt to understand and prepare for dealing with the potential risks? Do you make an honest assessment of your abilities? Do you choose dive companions based on compatible mentality toward safe diving?

These and many other considerations factor into whether or not you're a better, safer diver.

I've known divers who were very inexperienced and not very skilled who I would consider better, safer divers than many I have met who are far more skilled and experienced. What makes them better and safer is their mental approach. This is one of the most important lessons I learned from my alpha mentor, Uncle Pug ... safe diving is as much about how you mentally approach the dive as it is about your skills. His gentle admonishment ... "you need to rethink your approach to that dive" ... did more to make me a better, safer diver than any class I ever took.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Agreed on all points you offered. In aviation we even have a name for it (aeronautical decision making.) Sound mental processes are key to being a safe diver.

And the list could go on: physical fitness... (How many 400 pound divers do we see that look like a heart attack getting ready to happen?)

Bjorn

Consider that if the OP is looking for technical training, he/she may not yet realize that many, many very experienced technical diving instructors DO NOT WORK in or own DIVE SHOPS.

Unlike sport diving instructors, tech instructors tend to be individual business men and women who prefer to work independently. It then follows that in order to fully research the opportunities to find good training, one has to look beyond the purview of the traditional LDS.

Does anyone know where the OP is situated. That might help us to make suggestions.

If you're looking for technical training, start by going to the various websites of the different agencies. GUE/UTD and TDI all have an ability to search for instructors by class. You're going to have to read about classes to determine which you'd like to do.

Otherwise, like everyone before me has said - talk to the divers in your area who you respect and find out who they used.

I wasn't happy with my options in my area and so it turns out that my instrucor lives on the east coast (some 2,500+ miles away) and I have to meet him various places to get training. How'd I meet him? On a boat, while diving. That's sort of how it happens.

It would be helpful if we knew where you are - then maybe folks in your area could recommend someone for you to talk to.

No, I am not looking for technical training. At least I dont think I am. Am I? Hmmm, maybe I am. Seems unfair that to be a safer rec diver I have to be tech trained. :crying: I was planning on eventually trying it out if I got halfway decent at rec diving. Maybe I have to move it up a bit. Oh, and I live in Hawaii. I am a resort diver almost by definition! I know there are tech folks out here. I even know there is a GUE shop and instructor out here.

The answer lies within the instructor. There are a number of us who teach beyond the minimum standards for various reasons. You just have to find one that is convenient to you. In my OW class, you are expected to have great trim, buoyancy, control and be able to do anti-silting kicks before I certify you. No, it's not a long or arduous course and I accomplish this in a couple of pool sessions and 4 or 5 OW dives. That being said, I only teach private or semi-private classes, so the student gets a lot more of my individual attention and I have a method of progression that makes it fun and painless. While I am exceedingly proud of how I teach, I am not the only one who does this. NWGratefulDiver, Jim Lapenta and others here on ScubaBoard also teach to a higher level than the agencies require. We can be an insufferable bunch when it comes to talking about how we train our students, but there are few out there who would deny that we are passionate about what we do. Again, we are not the only ones who do this, we just seem to be the most vocal. :D
Where are these folks who will go a bit further? Is there a list? Maybe I dont want to do it locally. As I stated before, I like lists. :dork2: Also, why isnt SB a certifying agency? It has the biggest "textbook" for sure. :grinjester:

GUE Fundamentals is not a "near tech" class, unless you want it to be. It can be taken in a single tank, and is extremely worthwhile. UTD Essentials can be, too.

One of the reasons I constantly recommend these two classes is because of precisely the confusion you're suffering right now. The problem is that high quality instruction is scattered, and when it is offered under the aegis of the traditional agencies, it can be very difficult to distinguish from classes taught to minimums, which are not very useful in fine-tuning skills at all. You can find good instructors by their reputation here, for sure, but they may or may not be in your geographical area.

The reason you are getting a lot of information about technical type stuff is because tech classes (especially cave) can almost be counted upon to demand better skills from the diver. People recommend what they can depend upon. Recreational classes are much more hit or miss, and you need to know the local reps.
Is a rec pass cheaper? If I am going to ante up the same, I am going all in. :crafty: And then it raises the whole issue of when to take it. I think there are more than a few threads dealing with that.

And again, the list of over-and-above instructors? I am sure a lot of the instructors that frequently post here would be good instructors, though not always. Should the first question to a potential instructor be "what is your SB name?" followed up by a lot of search in here?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Agreed on all points you offered. In aviation we even have a name for it (aeronautical decision making.) Sound mental processes are key to being a safe diver.

And the list could go on: physical fitness... (How many 400 pound divers do we see that look like a heart attack getting ready to happen?)

Bjorn

Oh yeah, skills are good, knowledge is good, but having both is even better. Best (IMHO) would be both at an instinctive level. I dont think a class could give you the last case as it would have to be many weeks long in the water drilling constantly. It might even require the "old" method of an instructor messing with their students to see if they react quickly enough.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

:zen:

OP -- regarding a Fundies Rec vs. Tech pass -- AFAIK the class will cost the same, the training will (almost) be the same -- the education will be the same. Since you aren't (currently) interested in "technical" training, then do Fundies or Essentials in a single tank. The result will be a "recreational" diver with a much greater skill set, much better understanding of diving and a recreational diver who has the foundation to move on to "technical" training if it is ever desired.

You want advanced skills? Take advanced training!

So, to the OP and others, it sounds like you are looking for an advanced class, probably with built in specialties. For example, I teach an advanced course that includes two days of confined water training dives (usually 6 dives, 20 to 40 FT, 300 min BT) for skills, then 2 days of 4 dives, 80 to 110 FT. We also expand to EANx, Deep and/or Wreck depending on what the diver is looking for.

This type of approach provides more underwater time for skills and confidence building under instructional supervision while at the same time introducing you to a variety of diving environments. Most students that complete this training with me become regularly diving customers, season after season.

Most instructors I know that offer this type training are independents. I'm IANTD and our standards offer quite a bit of flexibility in course design.

So, to the OP, in HI, look for a well respected independent Tech instructor. Call and ask if they offer an advanced course that will prepare you for tech. Tell them you want 6 to 10 ocean dives as part of the training. It won't be your run-of-the-mill AOW class, it will be more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom