Where to keep SPG on a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have mine on a velcro clip on my right chest dring, easy to read just by looking down, out of the way, and in an emergency the velcro tears away as I take my bc off.

Clipped off to the chest D ring, left hip, routed down the inflator or not at all if using a J valve. I do them all depending in which rig I'm diving and they all work. Those who can read an SPG clipped off on the hip are not wearing a thick wetsuit btw :)

Nope, a 905 Drysuit. :wink:

Clipped to my left hip D-ring with a bolt snap. It's not something I need to have in view constantly.
This is where I keep mine as well. I've got a good idea of where my air is, so I'll only check it every few minutes if I'm shallow.

Okay, got several responses to my post. Good ones, I agree.
But, let us not forget we are talking about basic scuba here, by that I infer beginner scuba'ers.
Most will not have a computer yet, so checking that often will not happen.
The SPG at this point will usually be in the console, along with the depth guage and compass.
So, when I am saying look at your SPG, I am referring to looking at all the info. Depth, time, pressure, direction.
After they've done 50 or so dives, maybe then they'll be more comfortable and capable of diving without constantly examining their instruments.
For adjusting things? Well, they drop the console, fix or adjust, then like almost every other divers out there (I am NOT talking about you senior divers with thousands of dives!) they will reach back and grab their console from where it was dangling behind them. (Yes, that's where the majority of them are in the part of the world I am in...)
I am trying to teach my students that they should be aware of their surroundings, be aware of their life support system and definitely be aware of their safety.
I am not the Scuba Police (that's their job - to police themselves) so I won't hassle them if they do something different, but, again, I've seen too many students who are using their hands to swim while scuba and not pay attention to details, like air or depth.
Instuctors, how many times have you looked behind you whilst on the tour and seen your students at the surface?
Even though you tell them and tell them, they don't watch the guages enough.
I appreciate all the input from everybody, don't get me wrong! And definitely won't argue about this.
Thanks! Hope some or any of this helps somebody.
(And yes, my console is on a retractor and not in my hands all the time, but I also have a wrist mount computer that's right in front of me and when I dive my dives, I usually know the area well enough that I can tell you exactly where we are and what depth we are at...and I can probably tell you how much air you have left too.)

I used to clip off my SPG to my left waist D ring but I robbed the clip for something else, so now I just have an SPG on a twenty something inch hose and I just slip it under my waist band of my BP/W. It actually works out fr me better that clipping it. It seems to be less clunky and I don't have to unclip anything, I just pull it out, look at it, and slide it right back under the waiststrap and keep diving.

Okay,
But, let us not forget we are talking about basic scuba here, by that I infer beginner scuba'ers.
Most will not have a computer yet, so checking that often will not happen.
The SPG at this point will usually be in the console, along with the depth guage and compass.
So, when I am saying look at your SPG, I am referring to looking at all the info. Depth, time, pressure, direction.
Under and over the chest strap on jacket bc.

moved it from the left hip D ring - changed to a shorter 60cm hose and now clip it under the arm to the left chest d ring

Back
Top Bottom