Where to keep SPG on a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, got several responses to my post. Good ones, I agree...

I hear you on not arguing but if the industry would do a better job of raising the bar for beginner o/w students we wouldn't have all these problems. I know all these things like the different between an SPG and Depth Gauge, not letting your console drag behind you, not using your hands for stabilization are taught but then when they don't practice them during the checkout dives they get passed right along.

So I hear you and I know this is beginners forum but I don't want to contribute to that mess. Someone asks me where I put my SPG and I'm going to tell them: Clipped to my left hip d-ring.

Yup.
Part of the problem is that the new divers are not being taught those things. I see SO many students, while being taught by other instructors, exhibiting bad bad bad habits. The bad part is that most of the other instructors either don't care or don't realize they are allowing bad habits to become regular habits.
I see OW students, while doing their skills, standing on the bottom of the ocean. My students are hovering.
OW students with masks on forehead. PADI says this is an international sign of distress, so why are the divers in the ocean like that if they are not in distress? Because the instructors didn't teach them otherwise.
OW students using the BC inflator to get to the surface......SO wrong it's scary. I've heard other instructors say, do it once, I'll tell you not to. Do it twice and I'll smack you. Do it a thurd time and you're out of the pool. I ask, why even let them do it once? I teach my students to swim to the surface. When they are at the surface then they can do what they want with the BC. Inflate it, deflate it, I don't care. No danger there.
Leaving the tanks standing up with gear assembled and not in reach? Sure, the chances of a tank actually rupturing from a drop is very slim, but why take any chance at all? You get caught like that and you owe the instructor a case of beer!
I guess I am trying my best to instill good habits in my students to start with, rather than trying to teach them out of bad ones.

I hear you on not arguing but if the industry would do a better job of raising the bar for beginner o/w students we wouldn't have all these problems. I know all these things like the different between an SPG and Depth Gauge, not letting your console drag behind you, not using your hands for stabilization are taught but then when they don't practice them during the checkout dives they get passed right along.

So I hear you and I know this is beginners forum but I don't want to contribute to that mess. Someone asks me where I put my SPG and I'm going to tell them: Clipped to my left hip d-ring.

Maybe I missed it but I am surprised that no one said 'I don't use an SPG. J-valve all the way'

I keep mine in my save a dive kit in case my transmitter or main computer crashes.

But that is for a different discussion I guess.:D

I keep mine in my save a dive kit in case my transmitter or main computer crashes.

But that is for a different discussion I guess.:D

Do you dive with a backup? That save a dive kit won't help when you're at depth and your computer crashes :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

Yes I have a backup computer. If my main computer, the one with the wireless pressure transmitter, dies I will thumb the dive, surface, replace the transmitter with the hosed SPG and use the backup to continue diving the next dive.

Do you dive with a backup? That save a dive kit won't help when you're at depth and your computer crashes :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I have a backup computer. If my main computer, the one with the wireless pressure transmitter, dies I will thumb the dive, surface, replace the transmitter with the hosed SPG and use the backup to continue diving the next dive.

ahh I'm tracking now :) and that's exactly how I do it..I dive with a wireless Luna, have a hosed Cobra as a backup (so there are 2 computers in the water with me all the time) and then the SPG on the boat in case one of the computers unexpectedly dies.

On my rebreather, its on a left hip retractor, my OC setup is on a bolt snap.

Why?

More stuff in the way on my rebreather. Especially if I'm slinging a tank.

Yup.
OW students with masks on forehead. PADI says this is an international sign of distress, so why are the divers in the ocean like that if they are not in distress? Because the instructors didn't teach them otherwise.

My instructor taught me not to put my mask on my forehead. I do it anyway. I hate wearing it around my neck. Really hate it. I haven't had any problems. Dive masters haven't had any problems. I can make a big "O" with my arms as good as anybody.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom