Is Puget Sound the best diving in USA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive here in the middle of winter ...

SnowPics0032.jpg

CIMG9650.jpg

snowdivinbob.jpg

... in some respects, it's the best time to dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah... no way. :rofl3:

Of course, you must understand that I need a dry suit to dive in 78 degree water. Hypothermia is my middle name. I'm off to the Bahamas tomorrow with a dry suit, UnderArmour, polar fleece, and a full sweat suit inside. And a 7 mil hood. :shocked2:

Ok... Make a hole!!! Checking in from Great Falls, MT And I have to tell you that the best place in the US to dive is right... Well... Nope, can't even come up with a good lie about that! It's not here! But we do the best we can... Keep diving!

The last issue of Scuba Diver magazine referred to Puget Sound (Washington) as possibly the best diving in USA. While I understand that cold water diving there is very good but Florida has caves, California has kelp forests, North Carolina has sharks, and great lakes have the best preserved wrecks anywhere. Plus there is also Hawaii so I was wondering ... can any of the local dive businesses pay these magazines to make their region "THE BEST" or was there really an element of editorial objectivity in calling Puget Sound the best?

Being originally from Washington and having logged well over 1000 dives there I would have to disagree. I'd say that its comparable to many other locations. I think locations in the San Juan's and northern parts of the state can rival that of the warmer locations for sure. Last dive I did was off a very small island called Tatoosh, best dive in that state for me. 100' vis, kelp forest, big fish, several sharks and amazing colors. Which is nothing like most of the other dives sites. Not to mention, i've never met anyone else who has dove that site except for the local indians from the Makah tribe. A lot of the best sites like this one are hard to get to, thats not to say there isn't plenty of great shores dives for free! Still better if you have a boat and know your way around. Taking into consideration the added stress of cold water, long and sometimes steep walks in full gear to entryways, long surface swims in places like Edmonds underwater park, relatively short dive times considering average depth (at least for me) 85'++, drive time to dive sites and the fact that most dives to popular sites south of seattle would be considered a night dive do to particles in the water reducing vis to 10-30', I don't see how that qualifies as the best... Just my opinion of course. I will be back soon enough, and plan on breaking out my drysuit for a trip back to the olympic peninsula.

I'm pretty sure that was a typo - It meant to say Puget Sound divers are the best in the USA. That being said, when they really want the good stuff they come north to the west coast of BC.

I dive here (though usually not with such a cluttered rig):
Picture2003-13.jpg

That being said, when they really want the good stuff they come north to the west coast of BC.

... or the northeast coast of Vancouver Island ...

ROL1_zpsb377a970.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've been in Monterey, the Keys, Puerto Rico (it's still the USA), Great Lakes, St Lawrence, and more than a few inland sites and each and every one has something to offer that could conceivably be called the "best" depending on whose eyes it's seen through. I want to get to the PNW to dive with Bob, Peter, and Lynne. Would not give a rat;s butt if the vis were five feet. I know the company would show me some great and make for some great dives. I'm hoping to do SC/NC this coming season. Was not able to this past one. And another trip to the Keys would be great as well. I have not seen the article as I won't waste time on that publication any longer so it's hard to know what their criteria based on. As others have said it could easily be money. That's what their gear reviews seem to based on. Ad revenue.

Best diving for me can be all of the places noted. Or it can be my local mudhole on one of those rare days where the vis is more than 30 feet, the water is warm, the sun is shining, my buoyancy is dead nuts on, and I'm face to face with a vicious man eating 4 inch bluegill that doesn't know the meaning of the word "fear".

Judging from your avatar, I dont believe you will need to wait for the season to dive NC. I was down there last month and plan on doing at least one more winter dive there sometime early Jan. If you want to bring your drysuit, we can do a dive or two from Morehead City NC.

<deleted>

I dive here in the middle of winter ...

SnowPics0032.jpg

CIMG9650.jpg

snowdivinbob.jpg

... in some respects, it's the best time to dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Now that is what I call good diving Bob :D! I notice that you are diving with A scubapro MK 25. Ever had any free flows in this cold of a temperature?

I live here, and even I wouldn't say that. The diving's good ... but we have to put up with heavy plankton blooms in summer, stormwater runoff in winter, strong and often quirky current when tidal exchanges are large, and the water's a bit chilly. And for what it's worth, the best cold-water diving is a few hundred miles north of here on Vancouver Island. Granted, it's not USA ... but it's where Puget Sound divers go when they really want the maximum WOW factor.

AFAIK, "best" is an incredibly subjective term based purely on preferences. That said, it's hard to beat for convenience and marine diversity.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob for mentioning BC I was originally certified nasds in 1973 in BC , I wouldn't say the best but it is awesome and marine life is usually big.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom