Is Puget Sound the best diving in USA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that is what I call good diving Bob :D! I notice that you are diving with A scubapro MK 25. Ever had any free flows in this cold of a temperature?

Not from first stage freeflow. I have an old R190 backup reg, though, that doesn't much like winter diving. Fortunately, I have a bunch of other regs to choose from ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How do you define "best"?

For someone who doesn't want to dive a dry suit, we have almost no diving at all . . .

But if you like color, the Point Hudson jetty is covered in oranges and purples and yellow and whites and pinks. If you like nudibranchs, you'll be happy to know that the folks from Southern California swoon in ecstasy over the size of the nudis in the Sound. If you like octopuses, ours are bigger than you are. If you like muppets, you'll be happy to meet our snaggle-toothed wolf eels. If you're amused by the absurd, you'll adore the grunt sculpin. If you like macro photography, you can go crazy on our sculpins, stubby squid, candy-striped shrimp, and other vivid small critters.

If you like wrecks, we have 'em shallow and we have 'em deep. Airplanes, barges, ferries, sailboats and cars . . . sunk on purpose, or with dramatic stories behind their watery ends. Where else can you dive a wreck that was filled with treasure . . . in the form of canned salmon!

And the best part of Puget Sound diving, and the thing that elevates it above Monterey, or the Channel Islands, or even Vancouver Island for me, is that we don't have surf, and we have shore diving everywhere. Any day that the weather would make you want to be outside at all, you can dive here. The viz may be crummy, or you may have to thaw your gear, but we can go diving. And there is a LOT to be said for that.

The last issue of Scuba Diver magazine referred to Puget Sound (Washington) as possibly the best diving in USA. .. can any of the local dive businesses pay these magazines to make their region "THE BEST" or was there really an element of editorial objectivity in calling Puget Sound the best?

I have been diving in a lot of different places. Every place has its own advantages as well as disadvantages. Most areas have a couple of great spots. For my money, the best all around diving in the USA is the northern Santa Barbara Channel Islands, followed by the inside passage of Alaska. If you would include Vancouver Island as part of Puget Sound (it isn't) it would be right around the top of the list, but its Canada not the USA. Pacific Rim National Park on the western side of Vancouver Island is pretty fabulous.

For my money, the best all around diving in the USA is the northern Santa Barbara Channel Islands

My favorite feature of diving is kelp, so I'm glad I live here in California.

Have you dove the rest of the Channel Islands? Is the northern part of these islands different than the rest of them? (I've only dove San Clemente and Catalina - never the northern islands).

The best diving in the world is the water in which I am currently diving. Ergo, "the best" is a traveling road show. :D

I dove the Puget Sound and Florida, and I have to tell you, Puget Sound is nice (giant octos, etc...) but I choose florida any time of the day!

I am with the Insta-Gator. Wherever you are diving is that days "best".

I have been fortunate to dive offshore: The Bahama Islands, The Cayman's, Cozumel, Mexico, Japan, Australia, BC-all great.

In the USA I've been up and down the East Coast, lots of nice diving in West Palm and the keys, fun in New Jersey and up in New England.

My home waters are in Northern California, Monterey Bay and the North Coast-great diving as well. A day at Point Lobos is a fantastic shore dive.

Personal fav: a few days diving the Channel Islands off a good boat in a nice kelp forest.

We are all lucky to be doing something that most of the people on the planet never experience.

I dive here in the middle of winter ...

SnowPics0032.jpg

CIMG9650.jpg

snowdivinbob.jpg

... in some respects, it's the best time to dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sometimes we will rough it in SoCal and dive in the middle of winter as well. :)

Catalina.jpg

Picture073-1.jpg

I cert'd in Puget Sound years ago and have never been back. Even the training site was fantastic. It's on my long list of bucket list dives to do (again). I need more money and more vacation time, come on Powerball!!!!!

So many good places to dive, hate to say one is the best.

What about New Jersey and New York coast? Has no one done that or no one likes that in comparison with Wast coast areas? I was scheduled to dive that this November but hurricane Sandy messed things up a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom