Why does every new diver want to be an instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sooo, if I become a dive instructor, will it be easier or harder for me to find a diving boyfriend? ;p I need someone to go on diving vacations with me! (Alas, if I were a dive instructor, perhaps I wouldn't be able to afford diving vacations...)

Not sure if it answering your question, but I was thinking about my dive experience,
from being in the first buddy pair following the dive leader, then moving to the back of
the line dive after dive and I just realized that now I have them following me.
When I realized it, it was a kind of bizarre quasi-epiphanic sensation,
I finally understood what deep transformation happened to me

In the end diving is a transformation industry, those guys probably had a good instructor,
an instructor that communicate such good feelings and helped them change in such a way
that they now want to do the same to others.

Probably I did not have such good instructors because it took me 10+ years to undergo the process :D

Even with all the comments from those that wanted to be instructor because they instantly fell in love with diving and/or they wanted to share the fun of diving with others I still think the "pyramid scheme" of the dive shops and agencies is the best explanation.

If you are an Instructor with overhead wreck diving experience and can speak fluent Chinese, there will be very soon additional teaching & dive guide positions waiting for you in Truk Lagoon.

Zero to hero starting in 5 seconds . . 4 . . .3. . .

Kev, I think that is NOT going to be me. I am looking at diving for fun only. No teacher/instructor here...those folks put up with too many knuckleheads. I saw a few of them in my OW class. Don't come to class prepared, did not read the material, didn't do the quiz's at the end of each chapter, etc etc etc. NO THANKS!!!

On a side note...wow this thread has gone a long ways in just a couple of days...
:wink:

No Sir, not quite the same. A diver is the equivalent to an EMT, a Paramedic is equivalent to an instructor.

Odd, when I became an EMT-A, I was under the assumption that this was equivalent to BLS, or shall we say rec diving. An EMT-I, and further EMT-P, had additional ALS skills in (primarily, but not limited to) drug and electrical therapy; or shall we say tech diving. I was not under the impression that part of the curriculum was taking instructor training.

Ktkt.....meet Robert. Robert......meet ktkt
Wow, maybe I could make a living at being a matchmaker instructor if this works out. Wait, maybe I should have checked, your a female right ktkt?

In my case it was a desire for the income and the lifestyle - driving a beemer, traveling around the world to exotic places, becoming incredibly wealthy. But, alas, I found the harsh truth after a number of years - that the money and lifestyle get old. After all, how many cars do you really need? What will I do with the millions of frequent flyer miles? It takes too much energy to manage all my investments I have made with my scuba teaching income. And, the women just won't leave me alone, to have a quiet night at home, with a glass of milk.Or, just not read those posts.

This is what my instructor always used to tell us when we were DMC's.
We would laugh and enjoy the beverages knowing that sounded to good to be true!
Thanks for the laugh! It brought up very good memories!

CamG

Nothing wrong with that, 100 aspire, a few perspire and some lucky sperms make it to be a Instructor. IMHO

PS
DM stills get all the goodies :eyebrow:

Sooo, if I become a dive instructor, will it be easier or harder for me to find a diving boyfriend? ;p I need someone to go on diving vacations with me!

I think for women it must be easy. Just stick up your finger and say "available" and 150 guys will line up all drooling on themselves and flexing things in the desperate hope that you will give them a crumb of attention (which, no matter how you slice it, defines, in one pithy sentence, most of human history).

If I did that, the women around me would probably pee themselves laughing. I can hear them now... between bouts of hysterical laughter say, "no no ... wait... say that again!" :D

Needless to say, most of my dive buddies are men. Strong, muscular, intelligent hairy men with bald heads who take 2 or 3 tanks with them underwater and never say to each other, "whatcha thinnnnnking?"

I love my wife intensely but when it comes to diving, I don't see us fitting like lego.

I've seen other couples try to dive together too and while there are exceptions, most couples don't work together as well as "friends" who dive together. And just so you don't think I'm a sexist prick, one or two of my favorite ever dive buddies (and some of the best divers I've ever had the pleasure of meeting) have been women. It's just that relationships between men are defined by what you do together and if you ask me, that's the best foundation for dive buddies too. Two people working as a team, committed to the sport and committed to the task. Relationships get all foggy that way.

(which probably tilted my hand. Yes, if my wife every falls under a bus, I'm done with relationships). I love everything about intimate relationships but I quite simply wouldn't have the energy to try connecting with another person on the same level I've managed with my wife. Just give me a bunch of hairy guys who want to go diving and i'll figure the rest out alone.

R..

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2013 at 01:40 PM ----------

DM stills get all the goodies :eyebrow:

As they should. I DM'd for years and I still have a very deep respect for DM's who commit and become skilled at their craft and can almost invisibly tie the loose ends together and make everything flow.

To me a good DM is an invaluable part of the training team so as far as the goodies go, whenever I get tips or presents from students those things go straight to the DM's. I also (since I have a well paying day job and don't need the money) use whatever "profit" I make in a year to take my CA's out for a night on the town on me. They earned it every bit as much as I did.

This year I'm buying they guy who helps me most often an "IANTD advanced nitrox" specialty for his birthday. He earned it and I still find it weird and unfair that only the instructors in our local area get paid.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom