Grand Cayman Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why go on a cattle boat operation when there is so much choice on GC?

There are numerous threads including this one, that list many excellent valet type operators. I've been using DNS recently: Big boat, small groups, personalized service, skilled divemasters, and Dusty's wife usually bakes cookies. Doesn't get much better.

There are several good dive operators and most everyone will have their own favorites. We have been diving with Casey from Neptune's Divers for quite a number of years. The service is great, the boat limited to 8 divers max and she is passionate about safety and marine conservation. She will also pick you up at your lodging and drop you off.

Cayman's Original

Funny comments regarding "cattle boats" makes me smile, the bigger operators do have bigger boats and take a max of 20 people, for the actual dives these will be split into smaller dive groups and timing staggered to avoid crowding the dive site. The bigger boats do give more room, amenities and the opportunity to move around on a much more stable vessel. Depending on your physical abilities, getting back onto the boat can be a challenge, the bigger the boat the more stable the ladder and easier to climb.

Each dive site mooring is for one a single boat at a time, except the Kittiwake, which has 6 moorings, which can get busy and getting a diver free photo can be difficult if your timing is wrong.

Cost is very similar, some charge more but offer less, others include more, the more you dive with a single company the better deal you get, but then you don't get to try the other operators.

Red sail do have the Dive shop at the Westin (which has just been refurbished and more emphasis on water sports), but any operator will pick you up either from the beach or via shuttle bus.

I hope this helps, but if you want a more specific response just ask?

I just wanted to take a moment to thank all those who have responded both publicly and privately. We appreciate the information and are still planning. Please keep the comments and information coming.

We will keep this thread updated with the choice made and then how it went.

J.

Has anyone used Cayman Turtle Divers? Unfortunately, doing a search with "Cayman" and "Turtle" yields tons of hits that aren't necessarily tied to the search I'm looking for.

I would love to hear any opinions on that dive op.

Has anyone used Cayman Turtle Divers? Unfortunately, doing a search with "Cayman" and "Turtle" yields tons of hits that aren't necessarily tied to the search I'm looking for.

Do you mean Grand Cayman Diving never tried them, so can't help anymore.

They're up on Northwest Point, IIRC. Never used them. They're a small operation. Most ops are excellent on GC. Check 'em out and report back to us.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2013 at 01:20 PM ----------

Today's dives just re-affirmed the reason I dive with Ocean Frontiers. Great dives, great crew. Three dives in! 5 sharks, loggerhead, sea horse and the other usual other suspects.

Here is the link to thier website. I have been diving with them for a couple of years, great bunch of guys.

Grand Cayman Diving

I dove with them over the new year. Chris was great. Very laid back. We did a wall and the Kittiwake. The sites were about 3 minutes apart. He picked us up at the Westin and since the swell made the pick up a little dicey we were dropped at a pier at he north end of SMB and he gave a lift back to the hotel. He has a 23' Duskey with 300 hp Suzuki on a bracket. So the boat is really more like 26' and the bracket makes a nice platform to mount his ladder. There were three of us Chris and 1 crew. It was perfect. We were watching the weather and had good communication leading up to the departure. I would highly recommend them.

That being said, I enjoyed all of the ops we dove with that week. Sunset House, Happy Fish, Eden Rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom