Backplate wing setup for entry/transition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KnCDIVE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ready to switch to backplate and wing setup for comfort and modularity for the diving im doing (mainly spearfishing, divemastering on occasion)

Suggestions for best setup would be ideal, going to be on single tanks mainly HP steels, florida waters, carrying 4-5 SMBs/liftbag, flashlight stringer, shears, reel for shooting SMB. occasionally carrying a pony or 30 or 40 cu ft nitrox tank.

suggestions for the most financially feasible entry level equipment would be best. Not looking to spend thousands of dollars but not cheapskating it from the getgo. checked out diverite open to other suggestions before i pull the trigger.

They're all pretty much the same. Depending on how much weight you need, consider Alu vs Stainless. Alu is about 2lbs negative and stainless is about 6lbs negative. Most jacket BCD's are a couple pounds positive. As far as which harness to get, remember to get the MOST SIMPLE HARNESS AVAILABLE. That was a recommendation given to me when I was buying my first BPW. I ignored it because I wanted the "comfy/padded" one. Poor decision. Go fully hogarthian. As far as wing, with mildly proper weighting all you'll need is 10lbs-15lbs of lift. This link shows a GREAT deal on a BPW...probably the best I've seen. $300 is a great deal on a great setup. Alu, Hog harness, basic setup, Dive Rite wing.....all great signs. However, call around for other options. Jim Lapenta is worth contacting.

I'm still in my BC but dive gear express is an awesome company to deal with. Give them a call and they can answer almost any question. I'm looking into switching to a BP/W too eventually.

I've become a big fan of Deep Sea Supply. Great equipment and service is second to none. If you call and let them know you have questions, they'll put Tobin, the owner, on the phone and he'll take all the time you need to make sure all your questions are answered. I just bought my second DSS rig, specifically for warm water travel. It's a hybrid Kydex plate (neutral in the water) with a 17# Torus wing. Full rig includes Hogarthian harness, cam straps and all necessary accessories. Total price is $460.

Hey KnCDIVE,

A BP&W set up is a nice choice. It's not only great for more technical diving, but it is modular, so you have a nice recreational (or even a travel) set up with just a few quick changes.

Sounds like you'll just need a small singles wing. About 30lbs. I prefer a donut style wing because the air moves around better.

You don't need to spend a lot of money, but just be careful if you decide to mix brands. Things don't always line up right between brands.

Oh, you will also need a Single Tank Adapter (STA).

Some of our top-selling BP&W brands are Hollis, Apeks, and Scubapro.

I'm still in my BC but dive gear express is an awesome company to deal with. Give them a call and they can answer almost any question. I'm looking into switching to a BP/W too eventually.

I'll put in a plug for Dive Gear Express (DGX). I just bought a hogarthian regulator set from them--HOG brand. Their web site has a good on-line ordering system, but I noticed that there was no option to choose a 5-foot hose over a 7-foot hose. So I e-mailed them. Within two hours I got an e-mail back saying they had made the change to their web site so I could select that option. Wow.

Next purchase is a BP/W--some time this summer. I am most definitely considering DGX, as their rigs are priced well, though a number of SB posters rave about Deep Sea Supply (and owner Tobin is a frequent SB poster).

I prefer a donut style wing because the air moves around better.

I do not like the donut for the exact same reason: the air moves around. I have and really like a Deep Sea Supply 30lb horseshoe wing, no STA required.

Like has already been mentioned, make sure if mixing brands that the Backplate and wing are compatible. Some will fit almost anything, some are almost single brand specific.
I have Zeagle stuff, it's not DIR, but I love it. No STA required, which I think is an advantage, since it keeps the tank closer to your back and is nicer when upright.
My previous stuff was Poseidon, dived ok, and was almost free second-hand at the time...wouldn't buy it again, though.

Pin

Most wings nowadays don't require an STA. I definitely recommend a donut wing....you'll be a lot less likely to get air trapped in an undumpable corner. Donut wings will also keep you flatter as they'll be more likely to even you out.

Also, contact Deep Sea Supply. I plugged for Jim Lapenta but forgot to plug Tobin. KnCDive, what are your thoughts so far?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom