ID the Gazillion Crabs at Breakwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went diving today at the DUI event at Breakwater and there are wall to wall crabs in spots!:shocked2: We were diving in the sand mostly, between Middle Beach and the Wall. They are tiny (most about 1 inch) but very active. I have been to Breakwater many times over the years and have never seen these crabs before or any crabs in such huge numbers. I had no camera so I'm hoping someone who also saw them can identify them for me. I was told they've been there for several weeks now.

I dove under Santa Cruz Wharf a few weeks ago and saw the same tiny crabs. There were hundreds of them. I think they were the only thing we saw in the near zero vis.

I don't dive Breakwater very often, but people have been saying that they're Dungeness crabs.

Thanks, Dan! That was my guess.

I was over by the canary pipe side of San Carlos Beach on Monday. Here's a picture of the crabs.

Vis was ~3-5 ft. leading out to the Metridium Field, maybe about 10 ft at the field. On my way back in it seemed to open back up in the shallows

I was over by the canary pipe side of San Carlos Beach on Monday. Here's a picture of the crabs.

Vis was ~3-5 ft. leading out to the Metridium Field, maybe about 10 ft at the field. On my way back in it seemed to open back up in the shallows

Thanks, Mattaphore for sharing your pic! Although it's not quite the same as seeing all those little guys scurrying around, the pic brought back the same feeling in my stomach.

I've sent pictures of them to Greg Jensen at the University of Washington who wrote the most used ID book for crabs and shrimps. He has confirmed they are juvenile Dungeness Crabs.

Clinton

I've sent pictures of them to Greg Jensen at the University of Washington who wrote the most used ID book for crabs and shrimps. He has confirmed they are juvenile Dungeness Crabs.

Clinton

Wow. How nice to know our speculation has been confirmed by someone in the know. Thank you, Clinton, for taking the time to ask an expert.

Clinton

That's so interesting! I wonder how many will grow up to be adult, and how long it will take them to do so.

- Bill

That's so interesting! I wonder how many will grow up to be adult, and how long it will take them to do so.

- Bill

It takes the juvy's 2 years to reach maturity, or approximately 10 molting phases. They get pretty big with each molt so I wouldn't be surprised if they reached your usual market size by then.

Most of them are probably eaten at night by the harbor seals and red octos, which is why they spawn in such great numbers. I think they have a plankton stage too, because ever so often we get a crab in one of the Jelly's exhibit at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. They just hitch a ride in under one of the jelly's bells.

Back
Top Bottom