Cold water diving is a PITA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So wearing a farmer john jacket over a 7mm one piece isn't unheard of or taboo? Good to know, couldn't find much trying to search that combo on the board. Unfortunately I can't buy a semi-dry now that I have the Pinnacle cruiser and can't return it used. My Pinnacle has small wrist/ankle/neck seals, a silver material. Should I be folding those lil' seals under the neoprene? This is what the seal looks like.
http://image.rakuten.co.jp/discovery/cabinet/shohin/img60461404.jpg

I am amazed how much depth changes things. I was warm and toasty in a farmer john, and didn't see what the fuss about cold was, but that was because I went to a max of 40 ft before today. I imagine it gets far colder as you hit 70-100 too, yikes. If I go the farmer john jacket route any idea how much extra weight I should add? I'm at 32 lbs in my one piece.

Hopefully someone can help me out :)

I finally bought my own wetsuit, a 7mm Pinnacle cruiser. On my first dive in Carmel today, I was comfortable (though not quite as warm as the farmer john rentals I used to wear) at 30-40 ft. At 50 ft the cold became distracting, and after a few minutes at 60 ft I decided to head back to the surface. Not positive on the temperature at that depth, but I'm guessing high 40s.

So, question is: what's the best way to layer a 7mm one piece if I want to dive year round without catchin' the shivers? (Going dry isn't a financial option). The suit is too tight on me to fit a 7mm hooded vest UNDER it, and after searching on the forum it seems many people don't think the vest OVER a wetsuit has much benefit. Is a hooded step-in vest my best bet? How much warmer is the combo compared to a one piece 7mm? I know it sounds crazy, but I was thinking of also maybe trying a farmer john jacket a size or two bigger over my one piece, for 14mm chest and arms. Would this be even warmer than the hooded-step in? Extra lead and mobility isn't much of a concern to me.

A hooded vest over the wetsuit would be my preference since that is the cheapest, but dunno how effective it would be.

I was diving the Yukon in San Diego Memorial weekend and there was an Instructor that had the same AquaLung 7mm suit I had. Well the womens version... She was wearing a hooded vest over it. I asked her how she liked it and her response was that she loved it. Gave her the extra insulation and also completely stopped any water transfer at the neck or the rear zipper.

I think I may try it as well but I probably should just apply it toward my first dry suit. But... Dry suit or Cozumel? Hmmm...

I have had over 30 dry suts since1969 and many more wet suits I now use a low compresion 7mm with real drysuit seals with a 7mm core warmer inside it works my curent stretch kelver drysuit stays in my locker when I dive in norcal waters 4 weeks ago it was 48 at 60

Hi billt4sf, I think Jim Steele already replied to you but we contacted Rex Biteng at Parks and Rec: 415-335-9184, Rex.Biteng@sfgov.org. I am wondering if he was just on vacation as he answered us, At any rate, he just told us to head down to Rossi Pool and talk to the scuba instructors.

I thought I would give an update on this blog (and perhaps end it).

It took awhile, but we are enjoying cold water diving now. I have had 6 or so good cold water dives, and doing more each week, and Emily is almost there. In our recent Caribbean trip, I even found myself looking forward to getting back to cold water diving. The main thing I hope to achieve next is for Emily to really have fun!

I'd have to say that the biggest improvement came from getting our own equipment -- as folks suggested. (Thanks Peter!) Although I am still renting drysuit. Along with that was the pool time we spent with Doug working on drysuit skills (and comfort) in a non-threatening environment, and Brian's help getting started with the BP/W. We still have a lot to learn.

We have two extra tickets for Pt. Lobos on both Aug 10 and Aug 24. Would anyone like to join us? We don't need too much help, just a little with the entry and exit, fins on and off, etc., and navigation / where to go is welcome. We would not dive unless viz is 8 - 10 ft or more -- I have to see my buddy.

Thanks for all your suggestions over the past months!

- Bill & Emily

just a little with the entry and exit

I wouldn't worry about it much: Lobos has a nice ramp, and is so protected. Only dived there a few times, but getting in and out was way easier than even the entry/exit into a pool, and much easier than Breakwater. I even preferred the entry/exit at North Monastery compared to Breakwater's endless stairs :wink:

Back
Top Bottom