Unsigned dive logs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Signatures aren't important, and there's really no good reason to keep a paper log book anyway. Just takes up space.
I did have a paper log back during the dark ages, but that's long gone now.
I keep all the info in a database, as the dive info is relevant to the photos I took on the dive. All photos are tagged with the dive number.

A simple Excel-like spreadsheet is more than enough to satisfy the needs of most people. Also, there are numerous apps for Android and Apple devices that would do fine as well.

I would agree that if the dives in question were during a course that the instructor is to sign for those dives.

Even that is not not a requirement for a number of certification agencies (PADI, SDI/TDI, IANTD, etc). I have never had an instructor sign a log book, but I still get the cards in the mail after completing the course.

Even that is not not a requirement for a number of certification agencies (PADI, SDI/TDI, IANTD, etc). I have never had an instructor sign a log book, but I still get the cards in the mail after completing the course.

Yeah you're right. After OW class I had to bring my book back to the shop as the instructor forgot to sign them all. I guess that if you received your card for the course you just completed and need that course as a requirement for another course, no one would question your unsigned log since you have the card.

I kept a log thru the mid 1980s and never worried about signatures. it was for my own information. I quit keeping a log many years ago...

Me too got sick of loosing logbooks - so haven't kept one for years now and even when I did I had hardly any of them signed.

Karl

I thought dive logbooks were for collecting as many different stamps from DCs and boats as you can =D

A logbook is not a legal document ... it's useful for helping the relatively new diver remember details that may affect future dives.

If you're worried about having enough "logged" dives to begin a course toward dive professional, I'd say you're getting into the course for all the wrong reasons ... and with way too little understanding of some of the basic concepts of what you'll be teaching to others. Go dive some more first ... then you won't have to worry about whether or not those two dives count.

I've never ... not once ... had anyone sign my logbook. It's never been an issue with any class, trip, or dive I ever wanted to do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It is a PADI standard for the instructor to ensure that each student has a logbook and the instructor signs it for each openwater dive conducted as part of a class. Just because it isn't done by every instructor doesn't mean its not a requirement.

I have also been able to find standards saying that it is a requirement for SDI and IANTD instructors to sign student logs.

Last edited:
It is a PADI standard for the instructor to ensure that each student has a logbook and the instructor signs it for each openwater dive conducted as part of a class. Just because it isn't done by every instructor doesn't mean its not a requirement.

I won't address the PADI requirement, but with my agency (NAUI) the only reason an instructor needs to sign the log for the checkout dives is because the logbook becomes the student's temporary certification document until the card arrives. Once they receive their c-card, there's absolutely no reason to even keep the logbook, much less require signatures in it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I won't address the PADI requirement, but with my agency (NAUI) the only reason an instructor needs to sign the log for the checkout dives is because the logbook becomes the student's temporary certification document until the card arrives. Once they receive their c-card, there's absolutely no reason to even keep the logbook, much less require signatures in it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,
I agree that keeping the log after the class is totally up to the student and if they do decide to keep it then there are no required signatures. I make sure that all of my students know that the decision whether or not to keep a log is up to them and that if they do decide to keep one then it is totally up to them what information goes in it. While they are in a class with me I do require that they log the dives and I sign them.

My logbook is kept by the download software on my Macintosh, of course, I don't have to prove a number of dives to anyone anymore. A dive log showing number of dives is on your honor, so you can log a thousand dives without ever getting near the water. Of course, if you're going about telling folks you have a thousand dives and you look a bit like a drowned cat in the water, they won't believe you.... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom