Unsigned dive logs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't logged a dive since my AOW course. If I go on to Rescue and PADI DM would I actually have to log those past dives to finish the courses even though the instructors in my area all know I have way more than enough required dives. I just don't see writing down each dive in a book as important.

WheelsUSN: Yeah, I was pretty sure it's a PADI OW requirement for the instructor to sign each dive, and of course every requirement isn't always fulfilled.

Bob: Agree that one should dive a lot more than the minimum logged dives required for taking a course. But being a stickler for detail, I always wanted to be sure I had the minimum requirements first. Then, no one, instructor, charter, or not, has ever even looked at my book. So be it.

I haven't logged a dive since my AOW course. If I go on to Rescue and PADI DM would I actually have to log those past dives to finish the courses even though the instructors in my area all know I have way more than enough required dives. I just don't see writing down each dive in a book as important.

Rescue doesn't have a minimum number of required dives as a prerequisite so that isn't an issue. However the instructor is supposed to ensure that you have a logbook and sign off on any dives that you complete as part of the course.

For DM the instructor is supposed to ensure that you have the required number of logged dives and the standards don't have a provision for the instructor to verify the number of dives by personal knowledge of your dives or by witnesses. A lot (probably a majority) of instructors don't strictly follow that standard but if they were really going by the book then yes you would have to log the number of dives required to start and finish your DM training (and show documented experience in navigation, night, and deep diving.)

Ok good to know. I have recorded all my dives and can back it up with my dive computer log which is downloadable. I guess the question is, how do agencies, charters etc. ultimately verify a logged dive if they require them. I'm only 15 dives in. So keeping track of my diving is perhaps more important than the more experienced. So I want to get this aspect right from the start. Also I have done dozens of pool dives. Can I log them? I done a dive where the party we were with got lost within 5 mins of descending due to vis. It was abandoned. Is that a logged dive?

Paul

Generallly speaking, pool dives or dives less than 15/20 mins - or less than an arbitrary depth, let's say 3m, are often disregarded.

Having said that, it's your log book and if something happened which made you think it was out of the ordinary then that is a worthy candiidate for sticking in a log book.

Only logs I keep are the ones generated by the dive computer. Kind of hard to get someone to sign those after the dive.

---------- Post added August 14th, 2013 at 12:07 PM ----------

Ok good to know. I have recorded all my dives and can back it up with my dive computer log which is downloadable. I guess the question is, how do agencies, charters etc. ultimately verify a logged dive if they require them. I'm only 15 dives in. So keeping track of my diving is perhaps more important than the more experienced. So I want to get this aspect right from the start. Also I have done dozens of pool dives. Can I log them? I done a dive where the party we were with got lost within 5 mins of descending due to vis. It was abandoned. Is that a logged dive?

Paul

You are correct in thinking that tracking with a log book is beneficial for a new diver to at least show some documented experience. This helps you get access to dive operators who will take you to situations that are more challenging. Those that don't keep logs are challenged to show or prove the experience needed to do the deed. The old saying goes... the longer you can keep a person talking, the more they are going to tell you what they don't know. This is especially true of the freshly minted diver. Most operators, if they care to dispute what you say, will look at your computer log, eyeball your gear and quiz you a little bit until they are satisfied.

I have never been asked show a log. While traveling probably 30-40% never ask to see my C-card.

Tr3a... You are correct in saying that the situation exists where you just sign the release and get on the boat, that is true more outside the US than in. Most of the time I'm asked if I have completed a dive within the last year or so. To that I pass a printout of my computer dive log that they can keep and move on. You are not going to dive the Speigle Grove, Vandenburg or Oriskany without them questioning you. Same goes for the Caymans, at least with Red Sail and Ocean Frontiers. I was never really good at keeping paper logs in the first place, and they can get wet or "lost" (I know they are in the attic storage somewhere). I will sometimes download a log and annotate a dive or location if I want to track it, But other than that, I just keep the logs downloaded to not lose the info on the PDC when the memory gets full.

Tr3a... You are correct in saying that the situation exists where you just sign the release and get on the boat, that is true more outside the US than in. Most of the time I'm asked if I have completed a dive within the last year or so. To that I pass a printout of my computer dive log that they can keep and move on. You are not going to dive the Speigle Grove, Vandenburg or Oriskany without them questioning you. Same goes for the Caymans, at least with Red Sail and Ocean Frontiers. I was never really good at keeping paper logs in the first place, and they can get wet or "lost" (I know they are in the attic storage somewhere). I will sometimes download a log and annotate a dive or location if I want to track it, But other than that, I just keep the logs downloaded to not lose the info on the PDC when the memory gets full.

Alot of our travel is to the Indonesia/ Malaysia area. Other than a release with a few questions we are diving. Even a few trips to Carribean we have not shown cards (waivers, yes). Surprisingly last trip to Grand Caymen we never even filled out releases untill trip was half over.
Usually after a few minutes in the water the DM/ guides forget about us and leave us alone other than pointing out critters. Its been almost 40 years since I was in Florida so I do not know how things are run there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom