When to abort a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good call, I have done the same for the same reason, no point in pushing the limits on probably what is the weakest point in diving ... your ears.

Personally I wear a hood for two reasons;

1. Keeps me warmer on most dives
2. Prevents sudden traumatic incidents to my ears when doing a backroll if my head is to one side

Same here. In the tropics a swimmer's cap pulled over the ears will do. Or doc's plugs.

It's always better to thumb one dive than to be hurt and miss many others dives. Damaged eardrums take a while to heal.

As a side note I've never been hurt or killed by calling a dive, nor am I aware it causing harm to anyone else. The ocean will be there a lot longer than us. Good decision to thumb and wait a little longer.

I was all set to do my penultimate OW dive for my OWD course. However, when I rolled back into the water, I felt a sudden explosion of pain in my right ear, to the point where it was so bad I could barely focus.

As always, thanks to everyone who reads this and opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I find the easiest way to avoid this issue is...

First, I wear Doc's vented ProPlugs, you can dive with them and it broadens the pressure differential across the eardrum making it easier to equalize.

Second, It isolates your eardrum from some of the bacteria and other dissolved algae in the water. If you use a Sterile otic solution such as Ofloxacin, putting a few drop in each ear before inserting the earplugs, It will help keep the plugs in place and create a barrier from the water.

Third, If you wrap one arm, say the right one around your head with the right shoulder against the right ear, the right forearm across your mask and the right hand covering your left ear, you will protect your ears from a concussion hit and keep the plugs in place if you enter the water back first. Tilt your head forward too.

The plugs and solution helps prevent pink ear on multiple dive days. In my case I have a small hole in my left ear that comes and goes. My Doctor has been trying to permanently repair this for years with no success. Several years ago I ditched the helmet for the plugs and they work for me.

And last.... I don't need to hear all the possible reasons why I need to stop diving with the condition I have. I can assure you, no one is more informed than I am about the hazards, and how to mitigate it. I have had it since 1969.

Abort a dive whenever:

1) You have physical discomfort that will distract you from doing things to stay alive.
2) There is an equipment issue(s) that may hinder your or your buddy's safety.
3) You feel uncomfortable about the dive for no apparent reason.
4) You have to poop badly.
5) You're out of air.
6) Your buddy is out of air.
7) You have more than one minor "issue" with equipment, body, whatever.
8) You have a cold/sinus issues.
9) You have ear issues.
10) You aren't having fun.
11) You just plain want to get out or don't want to get in.
12) Etc.

You thumb a dive, it's over. Period. No matter the reason, no matter the time, before or during.

Make sure you and your buddy are clear on this rule and you understand what each of you means. I had an insta-buddy once get mad at me because he and I had discussed things pre-dive and he was "iffy". At some point he thumbed the dive and I didn't understand he was making a statement, not asking a question, so I hesitated about 30 seconds. He didn't appreciate that. Henceforth, I see a thumb I'm not waiting to verify question or statement, I just start ascending appropriately.

I am currently in Kauai and called off my first ever boat dive after getting in the water. I had a new mask (lost all my gear after my dives earlier in the week, dumb mistake). The mask was fine on water, but not fine under water with reg in mouth. The gear felt a little loose (easy fix) and I felt a little sea sick. I jumped in the water. Went under for about 3-4 minutes. Could not get comfortable and came out. Sat out while everyone else dove. Later I realized that I had my tshirt on under my wetsuit. I was so out of it that I did not realize it till I got the suit out. Do I wish I was down there? Yes, since the DM had my gopro and the sea life they saw was pretty good. But in hindsight, I am better off on shore. I went and bought another mask that was similar to what I had. I dove today instead doing a shore dive and working on buoyancy in an area I already dove earlier in the week. No regrets and I had a lot more fun. Was able to get 1:05 out of a tank @ 40' (for someone with 10 dives, I feel happy).

rotuner said:
It's part of "diving culture". The more serious people are about the sport, the more they understand that not every dive is going to happen.

Damn that's profound......

You made the right call. The body comes first. Never let anyone macho you into doing anything. What you don't know, or
are not sure of, is what will get you. One of the greatest things about this sport is you are always learning, from everyone.
What to do, and what not to do, no matter how long you've been diving, or what level of diver you are.

When in doubt, bailout! There is NEVER a bad reason to call a dive!

Back
Top Bottom