My tank nearly slid off my BCD yesterday. What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been thinking a lot about BCDs since posting this... I'm thinking BP/W is in my future so i can easily have two straps (or whatever else I want).

In the mean time you can upgrade your BC strap. Stainless Steel Camband

Good Luck

Bob
---------------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet

On a recent dive trip out of Wilmington, NC, my buddy and I had an opportunity to assist a young lady whose cam had come open. The tank was hanging by the carrying strap on her BCD. Her buddy was trying to solve the problem, but he was unable to hold the cam strap open with one hand and maneuver the tank with the other. She kept trying to turn around to see what he was doing, and she was on the verge of panic. My buddy went over to her and grabbed her arm, looked her in the eye, and got her to calm down and hold still. I went behind her and took over with the tank. I held the cam strap with both hands and pushed the tank up with my knees. Then I closed the cam, and her buddy took over to thread the end of the strap through the cam and velcro it down. We then gave the young lady the OK sign, and we all continued our dive. Soon afterwards, we saw a beautiful manta ray with several remoras underneath.

If this happened to me, I would definitely try to fix the problem. I would not want to try to climb back onto a dive boat with my tank hanging by the carrying strap! Oftentimes, climbing the fin ladder is the most dangerous part of a dive.

In my 45 years of diving, my friends and I have tempted death on 4 occasions.

1. In the days of j and K valves, I had a j valve and didn't realize that if I sucked the air out of the tank when the j valve was up, when I finally pulled it down, there wouldn't be more air available, and I was at 70 feet. Thankfully air expands as one rises and I could got another breath from my tank before I reached the surface.

2. In Cozumel, I got a tank that breathed fine at first, but suddenly cut off at about 50 feet. Our worst nightmare right? Fortunately my buddy was nearby and we buddy breathed to the surface. Lesson learned: When opening the tank valve, don't turn the value back half a turn as I was taught in class. Instead maybe turn it back just a hair, and a thin hair at that. I've been told that the reason not to turn the valve back half a turn is because rust has been known to build up, especially in these popular destinations, and can more easily choke off a valve if it isn't fully open. I don't really know if that theory is correct and would appreciate it if someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

3. In Cozumel at the reef named Santa Rosa, a rushing current has been known to suddenly form that can carry a diver down fast. My wife, on her first dive, encountered that current, and had it not been for a quick acting divemaster, I might be a widower now. He caught her arm with one hand and grabbed onto a rock with another, saving her from being swept away.

4. A diver in our company had their tank slip out of the bcd and that pulled the reg out of her mouth, sending her into panic. Again the divemaster was alert and went to her rescue.

As a result, I only use BCDs that have 2 straps, and have never had a problem. And I am just a smidgeon away of claiming that the BCD makers are negligent when they do not provide 2 straps, and there should be a difficult to remove warning label emblazoned on the strap that specifies that the strap must be wet before using. I've seen tanks slip out of the BCDs on many, many occasions and it can be a life threatening event if circumstances are just so. In fact, I've seen it happen so many times that I believe it to be high on the list of possible events that can easily lead to panic and then even death. Why this is not more highly noted by instructors, and why BCD makers do not emphasize the matter and only make double strap BCD's is beyond me. It's a serious matter.

1 and 4 is user error and nothing else. 2 is also somewhat user error (however turning the valve half a turn back wont even be noticeable with regards to breathing, sounds more like breathing the tank way too low).
As to 3.. 45 years of diving and never learned how to deal with different currents?

On my trip last week I witnessed a diver losing a tank as they prepared to giant stride. It was a big cluster as they asked him to lean over and try to fix it while one his back. Why they didn't just sit him back down, adjust and tighten correctly and then kit back up is beyond me.

For me, 2 tight as hell straps attached to a BP/W with crotch strap is the only way to roll.

I got tired of the tank randomly slipping off during dives and ended up buying a torque locking system for it. Bought it from liesurepro, Applo Bio-Tank, and have never had a problem since, simple on and off. Was a little costly at about $40-50 but for the hassleless diving experience with a camera rig was well worth it.

With proper engineering, or at least a great workaround, it seems to me that this is one of those problems that really should not require users to worry about. This poorly engineered system should be easy to fix very simply. Let me suggest just one method of many that come to mind: Everyone carry and use a rubber pad that effectively makes it nearly impossible for a loose tank to slip when placed between the strap and the tank.

The problem: Not enough friction between strap and tank creates a potentially life threatening event. Let's assume that the strap is loose. Those nylon straps that are holding the tank have very little surface area actually touching the tank even when super tight. As a lousy stopgap, a little more friction is added by tightening the strap by learning the right technique, being strong enough and diligent, which obviously fails way too often at a huge inconvenience and risk. Even when others are negligent, you may be required to help. As one instructor here related, they were almost drowned by a panicked student with a loose tank.

Increasing the friction should solve most all the problems. Any thin rubber pad should do the trick, and the more of the strap that has that pad between the tank and strap, the more friction. Second, using the right rubber pad will significantly increase the friction so that even a very loose strap should hold the tank in place. I'd suggest a silicone rubber pad. One poster here suggested that just putting a few lines of silicone rubber caulk on the inside of the webbing did the trick. If I always used my own BCD, I'd probably coat all of the inside of that nylon strap. There are also silicone rubber hotpads, which may or may not work, (if too thick, it will be hard to gain the leverage to tighten adequately).

Try it and let me know how any of these work for you, as they need to be tested before relying on them.

With proper engineering, or at least a great workaround, it seems to me that this is one of those problems that really should not require users to worry about. This poorly engineered system should be easy to fix very simply. Let me suggest just one method of many that come to mind: Everyone carry and use a rubber pad that effectively makes it nearly impossible for a loose tank to slip when placed between the strap and the tank.

The problem: Not enough friction between strap and tank creates a potentially life threatening event. Let's assume that the strap is loose. Those nylon straps that are holding the tank have very little surface area actually touching the tank even when super tight. As a lousy stopgap, a little more friction is added by tightening the strap by learning the right technique, being strong enough and diligent, which obviously fails way too often at a huge inconvenience and risk. Even when others are negligent, you may be required to help. As one instructor here related, they were almost drowned by a panicked student with a loose tank.

Increasing the friction should solve most all the problems. Any thin rubber pad should do the trick, and the more of the strap that has that pad between the tank and strap, the more friction. Second, using the right rubber pad will significantly increase the friction so that even a very loose strap should hold the tank in place. I'd suggest a silicone rubber pad. One poster here suggested that just putting a few lines of silicone rubber caulk on the inside of the webbing did the trick. If I always used my own BCD, I'd probably coat all of the inside of that nylon strap. There are also silicone rubber hotpads, which may or may not work, (if too thick, it will be hard to gain the leverage to tighten adequately).

Try it and let me know how any of these work for you, as they need to be tested before relying on them.

I am sure you didn't mean the way it reads :rofl3:

"I have an idea. YOU test it and let me know if it safe before I try it".

:)

It sounds silly but we have actually practiced this...take the integrated weight pouch out and stuffing it into the wetsuit, remove BCD, fix whatever problem, put BCD back on and return weight pouch(es) to pocket(s). Awkward but effective if no weight belt and you don't want to be floating over BCD.

I really like this!!!

I know that a hundred divers will now write that this idea of "stuffing the integrated weight pouch into the wetsuit" is old hat, - but I have never heard it. I personally hate weight belts, because, while I am physically fit - my belly always pushes the belt down. So I love my integrated weight belt.

Oh, by the way - Each of my BCDs have 2 tank straps on them, and I loop the BCD carrying loop around the neck of the tank as well.

The easiest way to fix it .... Is to tighten the strap the right way in the first place..... Place the bc flat on the ground with the tank on and pull the strap tight and pull the cam lock over.... Then release the cam well pulling up the slack and re-tighten.... When pulling the strap move it in a rocking motion to help tightening... :wink:

Jim..

On most recreational dive boats it is the boat staff that handle setting up tanks and tightening the cam bands. Also, very few operations have the space to pull the rig off onto the deck and wrestle with it as you suggest.

This situation happens to everyone eventually. The original poster handled it exactly right. Get someone to help you reposition the tank.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom