My tank nearly slid off my BCD yesterday. What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure you didn't mean the way it reads :rofl3:

"I have an idea. YOU test it and let me know if it safe before I try it".

:)

Well, yeah.... I did mean it, since I'm just now looking for my own equipment,
:scubahelmet: .... and so, I don't have a way to test it myself..... and I don't yet know
ne_nau.gif
for sure that it works!

This situation happens to [-]everyone[/-] some people eventually.

Fixed it for you.

I'm closing in on 1,000 dives. Never happened to me. So you're suggesting that I will eventually forget how to do something I learned on the first day of OW class (properly attach tank) and have done correctly on every single dive since?

Pretty much the same thing happened to me during my OW checkout dives. I had a BCD that had been in storage for a while (recently serviced) and, although I did wet the straps before putting it on the tank and I cinched them as tight as I could, the straps were a bit stiff and the tank slid down. Fortunately, we were on our way up anyway and my instructor fixed it on the surface.

Have used it a few times since with no issues.

I believe the practice started years ago when older style valves had a tendency to jam when fully open, and turning at back 1/4 turn prevented it from jamming. Not a problem with today's valves.

Valves that need service will sometimes jam open of you leave them all the way open when diving. I consider this a feature, not a defect. It's a "valve service required indicator" just like the idiot light on a car dashboard.

I always leave the valves fully open on rental tanks as a public service. If it sticks open, I drain it completely, take off my reg and tell them it needs valve service and an inspection.

This saves the next person from getting a bad tank valve. :cool:

I am in the remove bcd and replace the tank properly school. Tanks get loose when not properly mounted, or mounted without saturating the tank band. A check on the security of each diver's tank should be part of a pre-dive buddy check, and every dive should start with a pre-dive buddy check. The loose tank problem is much more common than it should be. Often a tank is mounted too low to begin with, and than can cause it to dislodge with minimal movement Have at least 3 inches of straight tank side above the tank. ( more if you are tall enough to do so and not have the valve hit you in the back of the head).

I use a soft harness (old X-Tek) with dual tank bands... solves the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom