My tank nearly slid off my BCD yesterday. What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies. I agree that the first thing is prevention. The BCD was definitely dry when the tank went on. The guide did it between dives (with a break for lunch). I adjusted the tank up a bit right before the dive in an attempt to adjust my trim, and when I did I recall that it wasn't hard to close the cam. Definitely no pop. I'll be sure to look for that in the future. I'll also practice taking off the BCD and putting it back on during a dive. I'm confident I would have been able to do it- the last time was in OW certification, but I'm a firm believer that you can do almost anything if you keep calm, move slowly and focus on what's most important (breathing!)...
Good for you for checking your gear, at least. The DMs get in a big hurry changing gear on the boats, I usually do my own, if possible. If not, I recheck everything very carefully. My husband did have his tank come off and it wasn't of an easy dive. We were in the Galapegos, negative entry, lots of current. He was able to hang onto his tank, remove his BC and don it once he hit bottom. I helped to get everything situated while he got everything all settled.
I find gear removal and replace difficult in my drysuit. Its not too bad in the wetsuit.
In the drysuit, my shoulder strap tends to get caught on my drysuit dunp valve, which is on my left arm. I just have to be careful and do left arm first and I do okay.

I've had it happen and it is annoying, I notice it only started in the '80's when they started making small plastic cams. I was using steel bands on the old plastic backpacks prior, so I wasen't using a nylon strap and the problem didn't come up. When I ****canned the plastic camband and used the larger steel cam and nylon strap commonly used on BP/W the issue resolved itself, strap wet or dry. The steel cam is larger and more pressure can be applied to the strap so if it's off a little or gets wets the added tension from the larger cam still keeps it tight.

Bob
------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Similar happened to me before. I noticed the top camband wasn't tight at all when I was changing tank for the 2nd dive. Luckily, I used two cambands, so the tank was still quite secured. To minimize dry camband issue, I always do this now. The night before the diving, I assemble the rig at home, test it, then move the entire rig into my car. I soak the camband in the kitchen sink before mount the tank. So I know the first dive, the camband will be tight.

I agree with TSandM, if a camband comes loose during a dive, I will have my teammate to fix it for me. If I work both my camband loose while losing all my teammates, that is a very bad day for me. I guess if that happen, I will have no choice but take the rig off and fix the tank.

I don't understand this. If, while tightening the bands you noticed one was not tight, why did you not re-tighten it? Was it broken?

I read this as eelnoraa had a loose cam band on his first dive. When he went to change the tank for his second dive he noticed the cam band was loose. I would assume he tightened the cam band for the second dive.

I've had it happen and it is annoying, I notice it only started in the '80's when they started making small plastic cams. I was using steel bands on the old plastic backpacks prior, so I wasen't using a nylon strap and the problem didn't come up. When I ****canned the plastic camband and used the larger steel cam and nylon strap commonly used on BP/W the issue resolved itself, strap wet or dry. The steel cam is larger and more pressure can be applied to the strap so if it's off a little or gets wets the added tension from the larger cam still keeps it tight.

SCUBAPro has really nice straps with metal cams and they're not expensive, and will fit most BCs.

I've never had a tank slip when using one and use them on everything, including sidemount.

flots.

My BC, which has only one band, had the occasional tank-slipping problem over the years. A few years ago I put a couple of long thin strips of silicone caulk along the inside of the band, which seems to have solved the problem.

A long time ago when I first started diving I saw a lady loose a tank out of her BC trying to get onto the swim platform of a charter boat in Monterey. That scene stuck in my mind ever since...Note to self: Make sure cam band is TIGHT before every dive.
I still don't understand why these major manufacturers only put one cam band on their BC's and with plastic buckles no less. I had one of those plastic buckles break gearing up once. Now days with the mega tanks commonly in use you'd think they would get a clue and upgrade their designs to two bands and go to stainless. I guess that's too much to ask for $800.

Every BP/W design I know of has two cam bands, it's a great redundant system. Most are using stainless buckles too.

I still don't understand why these major manufacturers only put one cam band on their BC's and with plastic buckles no less.

For the same reasons that d-rings and second stage valve bodies are now plastic. They're looking to save every penny possible even if it means manufacturing crap and charging top dollar.

They should all be embarrassed. Every one of them.

flots.

I read this as eelnoraa had a loose cam band on his first dive. When he went to change the tank for his second dive he noticed the cam band was loose. I would assume he tightened the cam band for the second dive.

Apparently I was having a reading comprehension challenged moment. That makes more sense.

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2013 at 09:33 PM ----------

For the same reasons that d-rings and second stage valve bodies are now plastic. They're looking to save every penny possible even if it means manufacturing crap and charging top dollar.

They should all be embarrassed. Every one of them.

flots.

It is a little bit "you get what you ask for" too. A lot of people seem to be obsessed with having the lightest possible gear.

I guess there is an argument here to stay away from integrated weight systems. They would really complicate dealing with this issue at depth.

Not necessarily the entire concept of integrated weights, but definitely an argument for splitting up weight between the rig an the diver so that each is somewhat neutral. That's called a 'balanced rig'. In cold water with thick, buoyant exposure suits, it's very important. Not only in case you have to remove the BC at depth but also in case of the very real possibility that the weight in the quick release pockets will get lost accidentally. Sometimes the pockets fall off, sometimes they're accidentally released, it happens. At that point without any weight on the diver it's a quick trip to the surface.

I've been thinking a lot about BCDs since posting this... I'm thinking BP/W is in my future so i can easily have two straps (or whatever else I want).

Back
Top Bottom