Diving facial hair/mask fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a full beard and mustache which causes leaks and I also get the leaks when smiling. I use generous amounts of silicon grease and it works very well.

Chapstick is petroleum based as well. I think it is around 40%. I have use it, Vas, grease, and even o-ring grease from Dow Corning that does not degrade rubber or plastic. The Dow worked well for me as did the Vas. The chapstick, not so much. I will take a pic of the Dow stuff in a bit.

I've always been fur-faced. I found that if the mask seals well across my forehead and cheeks I get almost no water intrusion unless I'm head-down position. Different design masks work differently. YMMV

DC

Try the mask sealant from Dive Right In Scuba. Besides putting it around the edge of my whole mask, I also apply some directly to my moustache, right under the nose where the mask rests. It has no flavor or odor and is silicone-based, not oil-based, so if anything it will actually help keep your mask skirt supple.

I have also noticed that, ironically enough, it is easier to keep a good seal over my moustache when I let it grow out a bit, as opposed to keeping it short and stubbly. I think that's because it's easier to maintain a seal when the hairs are laying down, as opposed to sticking out. But the Dive Right In mask sealant definitely helps.

Been diving for years with a full beard, never had a problem. Just check the mask is correctly set before diving.

My dive buddy uses Vasoline to seal his whisker induced leaking. The only real complaint he has is when I take pictures of him exiting the water while asking him if he "just blew a seal."

I know that's the punch-line to a schoolyard joke I used to tell when I was younger, buy I can't remember it to save my life.

This joke?

[video]http://www.break.com/video/ugc/monkey-telling-a-joke-142665[/video]

I am a long time diver, but new to diving with facial hair. My mask that seals perfectly now leaks constantly because of my new goatee (that my girlfriend loves).

Someone recommended I use regular silicone grease. Another recommended Vaseline. Yet another said that Vaseline, as a petroleum product, will eventually erode the silicone skirts and ruin the mask???

I am looking for advice from men with facial hair on what they have found that works, preferably without shaving.

I don't really need recommendations on specific masks because I already know how to fit one to my face.

Thanks!

I've been diving for over 40 years with facial hair and agree with the use of silicone. Definitely avoid Vaseline!

I've got a thick stache and beard. Never really cared for shaving under my nose. I solved the problem with Oregon Wild Hair's moustache wax. It's beeswax-based, and requires soap to wash out. Smells good, too.

Using silicone and Vaseline just looks like scuba snot after a dive.

I used to have this problem but I got a new girlfriend.

so do you want to look like a goat or a diver?

shave.

you can be a goat later when you are to old to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom