Diving facial hair/mask fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a mustache forever. My mask has always had a purge for that reason. Helps keep the mask clear of fog when it's really cold. Something I got used to so many years ago that I'd miss it if the mask stopped it's tiny leak.

So no one has tried the silicone grease route? The stuff they make for diving (i.e.: Trident) is food grade, so it should not be an issue.

2+ for chapstick, been using it a couple yrs and works great...that is when I forget it I know it! Took snorkeling excursion on Alaska cruise last month (did not bring my mask) they gave me Vaseline that took forever to wash off.

Prison pussy? Wow- never heard it called that, but that's what I have. Guess i better stay away from the big house!

As an FYI, I bought a tub of the Trident silicone grease online. It's food grade, and cheaper than buying those tiny tubes of mask sealer. Plus you can use it for anything else that uses silicone.

Well, it works great! Not only does it seal my my favorite mask again, but now my so-so fitting masks work better than when I am clean shaven.

It's a little goopy to work with, and it takes some getting used to, but it shampoos right out.

So there you go- another solution. I didn't want to shave around my nostrils all the time, because the distance between my nostrils and my top lip is nowhere near as long as Spock's.
I don't want to end up with one of the John Waters mustaches- for those that know who he is?

OK Prison Pussy is hilarious. I've also heard it refered to as a San Fransico Bullseye.... +3 to chapsick... works great!

I use the Trident grease and it works just fine. And I would caution about tightening the band. Sometimes this can flare the skirt, making things worse.

I used vaseline and in over a 6 year period it never damaged my mask.

My dive buddy uses Vasoline to seal his whisker induced leaking. The only real complaint he has is when I take pictures of him exiting the water while asking him if he "just blew a seal."

I know that's the punch-line to a schoolyard joke I used to tell when I was younger, buy I can't remember it to save my life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom