Diving facial hair/mask fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a great bunch of responses. It seems the type of hair you have dramatically affects what happens when you put a mask on.
I just went to a full face mask demo in Boca Raton Force E, and several guys with all lengths of facial hair were there.

One guy had a giant beard and 'stache. Says he puts nothing in it, and never leaks- ever. Another guy said his mask always leaks so he tightens the straps a bit and uses chapstick. Another said he shaves under his nose for a good seal. ME? If I have a five o'clock shadow my mask won't work. I am using the Trident silicone and that is the best solution have found. Also, i do a lot of really shallow diving for video work, and apparently that can cause more issues than diving deeper.

I have dove with a moustache for years, I just clear my mask occasionally, haven't found it to be a problem. I do, however, bring my own mask where ever I go, I don't use other masks, even when renting gear for "spur of the moment" dives. Just find one that fits your face comfortably and use the "suction" test to see which fits the best.

I have pretty heavy beard and mustaches but I figured long time ago that if water leaks under my mask, it's coming not from the facial hair but from a vertical wrinkle on my forehead. So I use silicon grease but on my forehead only. As for the mustaches, I just shave a bit under my nose where the mask rim goes.

This stuff comes up from time to time. It's just a little water leaking in, so why bother rubbing vaseline or mask sealant or monkey c....never mind. Just use the water to keep your faceplate clear. Also, pay no attention to anything that I write. I thought Amazz was a guy and seeing "tarponchik", I kinda figured this was a lady diver until...

I have pretty heavy beard and mustaches but I figured long time ago that if water leaks under my mask, it's coming not from the facial hair but from a vertical wrinkle on my forehead. So I use silicon grease but on my forehead only. As for the mustaches, I just shave a bit under my nose where the mask rim goes.

Maybe the government, now that it's back in bidness, will pass mandatory legislation requiring all divers with facial hair, male or female, to trim it like John Waters. That lounge lizard look would translate so well to the dive world.

I shave a little off the top of the stache... Latin lover style. Hair everywhere else poses no kind of issue at all.

So, spaniard cut = divers stache.

I am still having the issue. It's worse on second dives. My trusty old mask finally cracked the skirt, so i went shopping for a new mask.
Nothing fit when i have facial hair, so I trimmed the mustache area to see what fit. Most masks fit me well, but once i grow the 'stache back- it's no go.

Some of you mention getting a little water in the mask as no big deal- that's not my issue. My problem is that mask starts to almost fill up. I have to clear it CONSTANTLY. I even did a go pro video to see if i could detect leaks- and sure enough tiny bubbles puff out right where my mustache is.

The best procedure seems to be to run some of that Trident mask sealant all the way around the mask and saturate my mustache with it. An annoying ceremony to have to perform when scrambling on the boat to get ready for the dive, but what else can i do?

Sorry, didn't read the full thread. So, this may have been suggested already. But, I've been diving with a mustache (handlebars) for the past couple years. Tired maxes, Vaseline, and just putting up with it. What worked best for me was finding a mask that has the skirt come directly under your nose. (I'm using an Auqualung Look2) And then trim the top 4-8 hairs of the mustache. This only seems to work with a full grown 'stache. Anything more than 5 o'clock shadow but less than a month's worth and I get leaks. But, full growth, trim the top, and right mask seem to do the trick.

Sorry, didn't read the full thread. So, this may have been suggested already. But, I've been diving with a mustache (handlebars) for the past couple years. Tired maxes, Vaseline, and just putting up with it. What worked best for me was finding a mask that has the skirt come directly under your nose. (I'm using an Auqualung Look2) And then trim the top 4-8 hairs of the mustache. This only seems to work with a full grown 'stache. Anything more than 5 o'clock shadow but less than a month's worth and I get leaks. But, full growth, trim the top, and right mask seem to do the trick.

Thank you for the useful answer. Some of them have just been ridiculous!

LOL. But seriously, now I got the BangWrangler, and it took care of my forehead wrinkle problem. Maybe the water was coming into the mask from below but this could only be possible because the air was leaking out at the top of the mask. If the mask is airtight at the top, then no water can come in from below. Makes sense?

I am still having the issue. It's worse on second dives. My trusty old mask finally cracked the skirt, so i went shopping for a new mask.
Nothing fit when i have facial hair, so I trimmed the mustache area to see what fit. Most masks fit me well, but once i grow the 'stache back- it's no go.

Some of you mention getting a little water in the mask as no big deal- that's not my issue. My problem is that mask starts to almost fill up. I have to clear it CONSTANTLY. I even did a go pro video to see if i could detect leaks- and sure enough tiny bubbles puff out right where my mustache is.

The best procedure seems to be to run some of that Trident mask sealant all the way around the mask and saturate my mustache with it. An annoying ceremony to have to perform when scrambling on the boat to get ready for the dive, but what else can i do?

Yes several of our customers have commented that the mask seal is improved when you shave just a small strip right under the nose.

We have been EXTREMELY happy with this mask. It is very low volume, so freedivers love it, but it is very comfortable, fits almost everyone, the visibility is unhindered because the lense is so close to your eyes, and it is a robust mask as well because the buckles are attached to the mask skirt rather than the frame. This greatly reduces the vulnerability to damage to the mask strap buckles.

I am so confident this mask will fit (and be comfortable and not leak) .. that we will accept a return of you are not delighted. Don't be turned off by the low price too.. We sell direct, with no retail stores, no retail overhead, no retail middleman - so the MAKO Direct Price can be very competitive on Quality products.

I use this mask for scuba and freediving.

[video=youtube;ci8sDIVcaRI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci8sDIVcaRI[/video]

Thanks
dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/Minimus-Mini-Freedive-Mask-p/mmm.htm

mmm-side-view_dtl.jpg

MMM-2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom