I knew the cattle boat would be bad...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used aquaworld and it was pretty bad, it was a last minute decision. Small boats and small number of divers (one trip was just me and another diver).

It took me 4 tanks to find one with more than 2300 psi. Our 90 ft wall dive had the wall start at 125 feet. Needless to say, that dive was one of my shortest, especially since the DM took the tank with 2300 PSI.

Weird. I thought someone might have taught you that, friend to friend and all. We all exchange it at the Scubaboard dinners.
So I have been left out in the cold? That really hurts my feelings, me being such a sensitive guy and all. :D

So I have been left out in the cold? That really hurts my feelings, me being such a sensitive guy and all. :D

I wouldn't feel too bad. Betcha dollars to doughnuts it's some variation of "hey, hand(shake) me that marg, will ya?" :D

Dear gopbroek,

Yep, that was the pier I built back in 98. But technically they took over my company, Inversiones Cozumel Aldora SA de CV, which owned it, so it is still officially referred to as the "Aldora" pier. Hated to lose it but have survived worse problems.

Dear gopbroek,

Yep, that was the pier I built back in 98. But technically they took over my company, Inversiones Cozumel Aldora SA de CV, which owned it, so it is still officially referred to as the "Aldora" pier. Hated to lose it but have survived worse problems.
It sucks, but owning property in another country is always a risk - with many examples over the years.

I was in Big Bend NP week before last with my kids and 3 Chinese exchange students (Wow what a trip!), overlooking a Mexican village on the other side of the Rio Grande/Rio Bravo and told them some highlights of the border conflicts that continued into the 20th century, even becoming part of the reason we entered WWI after the Zimmermann Telegram was intercepted. They ignored me politely enough.

Dear gopbroek,

I've only been going to Coz. since '95, but now that you mention it I remember hearing about that. That sucks.

After seeing this thread I did a little searching of reviews again. Came up with a molestation claim that I had forgotten about, and I seem to remember a rape claim. But that would have to do with the individual DM and not the company. But the response to the complaint is all on the company...and their representatives.

I just saw some glowing reviews of the company, along with some that correspond with the OP's experience. I just wonder if most of the glowing reviews were from newbies that didn't know any better, or shills. I've never dove with them and I don't think I ever will.

I have dove with several shops there but I haven't dove with Aldora yet. I'd like to try it if the airfare ever gets to where I can go again. I'd like to split a trip with Aldora and Christie's. I met her at her shop right after she opened the one just down from Chedraui; she had her scooter with the UT Longhorn sticker on it parked out front. Since I'm an A&M grad. she might have some barbs for me...like "You know how to drown an A&M scuba diver? Put a scratch and sniff on the bottom of the pool." :D

I've only had one cattle boat experience, and that was years ago - 1996 or 1997 - before the Marine Park changed the rules which now require 1 DM for no more than 8 divers. It was Del Mar Aquatics, which (I think) was then the house dive op for El Cid/La Cieba. There were 19-21 divers on a big slow boat, and they put all divers into water at once, with a DM in front and another DM bringing up the rear. They had divers all over the place, everyone kicking up muck in the swim throughs, stomping across the reef, kicking each other. I'm surprised that no one was lost. It was miserable - I cancelled my reservations for the rest of the week and booked with a different dive op that only put 6 divers in a small boat with a DM, and swore never again to go with the cattle boats.

Aquaworld = Awful!!! They are all around Cozumel and the mainland and are uniformly a poor company with which to dive. I got stuck with them while at an all-inclusive in Cancun (family reunion which couldn't convince them to save the money and group travel to Cozumel instead) and one while traveling with friends on a cruise (another example of wasted money) where I dove in each port. Stay away from them. I have NEVER heard anyone who has not had a cattle boat experience with them. They are a principal reason I stay with the small, boutique operators.

So today, as we were heading back into port after our second dive, we passed a LARGE group of divers at the surface. In.the.middle.of.nowhere. With no other boats in sight. And it was rockin' today with pretty good swells. Our captain pulled up and asked if they needed help. They said they were OK and so off we went. Guess which op?

Sounds like the boat you were on considered itself a taxi. once in the water you are your own problem. it sounds like the DM was acting as a guide not a dm. This is not unusual in any areas, conus or not.

...but I had no idea it would be that bad!

I stayed in Cancun for a fortnight earlier this month. It was a silver wedding anniversary trip with my non-diving wife so I knew I wouldn't get too many dives in, but I wanted to do a few local sites, a cenote, and get over to Cozumel at least once. I tried contacting a few dive ops in advance but got precisely zero replies. In the end I gave up and decided to go with the in-resort option. I knew it wouldn't be the best, and it would cost a bit more, but I told myself it was only a few dives.

Oh dear. If the boat I ended up on in Cozumel was even remotely typical then I'm surprised there isn't an accident or worse every week. There was so much wrong with it that I hardly know where to start, but I'll try to list the main points:

• No dive briefing worth the name,
  • Virtually no protocols or signals discussed
  • No buddies assigned
  • No weight check. I tried to do one since I was diving in a new sea, with a rental BCD and a lighter tank, and in pounds rather than kilos, and the DM actually shouted at me to stop! (I guess he thought I was trying to descend early?)
  • No surprise - I was 2 or 3 pounds under weighted. Did the DM notice? No, he went haring off with his group of 7 other divers and no idea that he was missing one. I was still by the boat, so got a few extra pounds from one of the crew in a hurry and caught up with the group.
  • After a series of pointless swim throughs where the only thing to see was the silt kicked up by the guy in front I swam above rather than through - much prettier - following the bubbles easily visible through the porous rock. Once again, the DM had no idea he was "missing" a diver.
  • After less than 30 minutes someone ran out of air and was told to ascend, which they duly did - solo, too fast, and without a safety stop.
  • When the next diver ran low 10 minutes later the whole dive was called. No safety stop allowed for, although a few of us hung back at 5m for as long as we could.
  • Back on the boat, and a roll call was conspicuous by its absence.
  • Surface interval? Less than 20 minutes! But at least it gave me a chance to buddy up with a Canadian woman who looked like she knew what she was doing. I'd have been sorely tempted to sit out the next dive otherwise, although after the 7 hour bus, ferry, and boat trip to get there I'd probably still have done the second, shallower dive anyway. (At least I knew I was correctly weighted for that one!)
  • There was then a real rush to kit up and get back in the water with virtually no warning, the DM shouting at people who had had the temerity to go upstairs and all but pushing them into the water while they were still buckling up. If someone's air had been off they'd have found out the hard way.
  • After all that the second dive was actually a bit better. But add in some diabolically bad yo-yo divers with gauges trailing, no computers, and a propensity to grab onto coral and turn over rocks so they could stick their GoPro under them, and the horror was complete.
  • The best bit, though, was the long and heartfelt speech at the end about how hard they'd worked for us, and how much they deserved a generous tip. Frankly, I'd rather have just thrown my money overboard.

On a positive note let me close by saying that, despite the experience of the cattle boat, the actual dive sites were totally awesome and I enjoyed my all too brief time on the Island itself. I can't wait to get back at some point with my daughter and actually stay on the Island and do it all properly.

---------- Post added March 28th, 2015 at 04:18 PM ----------

Speaking form experience i bet you a dollar it was

For the most part, that sounds like the worst of the worst, even for the large boat ops.

Was the name of the op Sand something? Peso, Euro, Pound...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom