Travel Carry on with BP/W Vs. Aeris Jetpack as a Carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For example the dimensions of a XL Scubapro Jet fin is larger than the L size.

Never really noticed this until a recent trip when I comparing my XLs to the guy next to me diving "Large" Jets. Thinking of getting a pair to hang from the rear-view mirror in my car.

fin8.jpg

I have carried everything needed for diving with a recreational rig onto the plane before in a mesh dive gear bag that I used compression straps on to meet the dimension requirement (force fins as mentioned) from Washington DC to Honolulu (about 6 times). My clothes in my additional "personal item" (a Diamondback summit pack) consisted of a single extra change of clothes and a few days of underwear. I did this on United and washed my clothes daily at the hotel...it can be done!

My BCD was a Zeagle Ranger.....my BP/W set up is a Zeagle Little Bertha...which I have carried exactly once on United and they told me NOT to do it again, shipped home.

Last edited:
I currently have a ScubaPro Seawing Nova and Atomic Aquatic Split Fins both sized XL.. Both can't fit into my Beuchat Travel Cabin..
Currently looking to order a Dive Caddy G3 bag, what do you think about it?

Aeris Accel, Hollis F2, ScubaPro Jet Fin, AquaLung Hotshot is readily available here in Indonesia.. The other I'm afraid is not available here..
Is there any other "Travel" fin that you can suggest? And where can I find the size and dimension of them? (to know the overall length of the fin)

I currently have a ScubaPro Seawing Nova and Atomic Aquatic Split Fins both sized XL.. Both can't fit into my Beuchat Travel Cabin..

Aeris Accel, Hollis F2, ScubaPro Jet Fin, AquaLung Hotshot is readily available here in Indonesia.. The other I'm afraid is not available here..
Is there any other "Travel" fin that you can suggest? And where can I find the size and dimension of them? (to know the overall length of the fin)

At 64cm the SP Seawing Novas are on the "isn't that a bit silly?" end of the length spectrum.

_DSC7990.JPG

Even the SP Jets in XL which are far from being "travel fins" (though I travel all over the world with them) are 7.5cm/3in shorter.

Never really noticed this until a recent trip when I comparing my XLs to the guy next to me diving "Large" Jets.

I used to think the difference in fin size was only in the foot pocket until I compared the size of L and XL Jet Fins. This was before manufacturers and vendors started listing specs on their website.

---------- Post added March 17th, 2015 at 08:01 PM ----------

I would pay attention to your airline's baggage specifications and the size (and weight) of the Dive Caddy. From what I remember earlier versions of the Dive Caddy did not meet U.S. airline specifications (non-US carriers are usually more strict) for carry-on baggage. Their website used to give "tips" on how not to get noticed. I am not sure if the current version corrected the problem.

In my country they never weigh Carry On at all.. Just need to keep it neat and tidy and it will probably pass.. They never even measure the Carry-On size (with the Carry-On Luggage Sizing Bin).. At least it never happened to me..
So my problem now lies in finding a Fin that can fit into my Carry-On, or if there's any possibility in finding a Carry-On that can fit my fin..
Don't know if the Dive Caddy G3 will fit the Atomic Split Fins size XL.. Their video did show that it fits an Atomic Split Fins but don't know what size it is..
Do you think it is worth it to buy the Dive Caddy G3..?
Or should I just use my Beuchat Voyager Cabin and buy a shorter Fin?

Don't know if the Dive Caddy G3 will fit the Atomic Split Fins size XL.. Their video did show that it fits an Atomic Split Fins but don't know what size it is.

The "large" Atomic split fins appear to be about 2.5-3" shorter than the large Nova.

PS - you can bet the cost of a pair of split fins that if a company that sells bags is showing fins being put INTO the bag, that they are using the SMALLEST available size of that fin in their video.

---------- Post added March 18th, 2015 at 09:57 AM ----------

Do you think it is worth it to buy the Dive Caddy G3..?
Or should I just use my Beuchat Voyager Cabin and buy a shorter Fin?

Are you dead-set on getting a scuba-specific piece of luggage? You will have far more options - at far lower prices - if you expand your search. For a recent trip I bought a new backpack at a camping store for use as a carry on. While I didn't end up using it for scuba gear, when packing I was able to get a full set of scuba gear, including halcyon BP and a pair of jet fins into it with no problem. $100 - which was cheaper than either a scuba-branded bag or new fins.

For carry on MEI voyager- fits all my gear: 2xl 5mm full, BC, regulator, apollo Bio fins large 22", mask, hood, gloves, and boots. About 30 pounds.

The MEI Voyageur Back-Pack - First choice of the seasoned world traveler

Recomended:
Leisure Travel Bags :: One Bag

From their site:
The MEI Voyageur Back-Pack - First choice of the seasoned world traveler
"My current choice in this category is the MEI "Voyageur" pack (pictured above), which is 22 × 14 × 9 inches (maximum permitted carryon size), made of 1000 denier Cordura with an interior urethane coating, and has a parallel stay internal aluminum frame. The hip belt and shoulder harness are lined with nylon knit, and padded with closed cell foam; these zip out of sight for carryon use, and a more "luggage-like" appearance

Back
Top Bottom