Do you dive with a PLB overseas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMatt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

Just wondering if you guys dive with a PLB when you dive overseas. If so what do you use and how do you use it?

cheers
SM

Yes, technically I'm overseas as my PLB is registered in the UK and I'm living/diving in NZ. I have contacted the relevant authorities in the UK and NZ and they assure me that activation will result in a rescue. Next time round, I will register the PLB in NZ. I have a McMurdo 220.

I can't speak for the McMurdo, but the ACR unit requires the antenna to be deployed to gain access to the activation and test buttons, and since the canister is air tight, pressure won't activate the buttons even under the antenna.

Part of the regulations required for certification is that it takes two distinct actions in order to activate a beacon. With a PLB it is typically deploy antenna, press button.

I think the results will vary with destinations, like some countries' navies don't work on Sundays and the like - too many countries for a standard response, but I'd want NOAA and my state department to be aware of my need and trying to get aid to me.

In some destinations, it might help to register locally for the visit.

Since I do own one, I never leave home without it. Where my car goes, it goes, until I take it out for a hike, etc. I've been on some remote family hikes wondering if someone got hurt, what are the chances that we could send someone out for help, and they'd be able to find us again.

That wouldn't be possible. If you Google activation of the McMurdo, you'll see why.

That is incorrect. I have a McMurdo 211 and it managed to activate whilst in a canister. The canister leaked a little and water penetrated the PLB and set it off, even though the aerial was not deployed. I received a call from Australian Search & rescue as they were about to deploy a chopper.

I then bought a Customs Diver Canister but the first one I had leaked badly. After them checking it and telling me there was nothing wrong with it I then used a set of verniers on it and found that it was out of spec and there was no interference fit for either O ring. They replaced it and to date its been fine.

I think if I were to buy another canister I would get the aluminium version but not sure who makes them.

That is incorrect. I have a McMurdo 211 and it managed to activate whilst in a canister. The canister leaked a little and water penetrated the PLB and set it off, even though the aerial was not deployed. I received a call from Australian Search & rescue as they were about to deploy a chopper.

I then bought a Customs Diver Canister but the first one I had leaked badly. After them checking it and telling me there was nothing wrong with it I then used a set of verniers on it and found that it was out of spec and there was no interference fit for either O ring. They replaced it and to date its been fine.

I think if I were to buy another canister I would get the aluminium version but not sure who makes them.
McMurdo: McMurdo - Fast Find / Fast Find Plus Accessories, Dive Canister

That's what I use with my ACR 2881, but if I were buying a PLB today - I'd go for the smaller Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1 and look for a smaller canister.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom