Switching from 3mm full wetsuit to 7mm full wetsuit in Salt Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I think I have a rough idea how much weight to start out with. I appreciate everyone taking a moment to provide some much appreciated guidance. cheers

I'd estimate about 16 pounds.

Safe dives . . . . .
. . . safer ascents

the K

Thick gloves too, preferably with kevlar. In Galapagos you drop down and hold on as the dive passes you.

I required more lead there than usually. There's so much more stuff in the water besides salt that you're even more buoyant than simply in "cold salt water.'

You will also be colder than a "regular" dive since you won't be swimming around as much on most dives.

Made it back safe and sound from my trip to the Galapagos Islands. Thanks again to everyone for the replies on a starting weight. Final answer for me was 16lbs. The dive master's suggestion for a starting point was 10% of body weight plus 4 lbs. This would have been 20lbs for me. I gave it a try on the check out dive and it was just too heavy. 16lbs was a good balance. A little more effort than normal getting down to where my new 7mm started to compress. Something I hadn't had to deal with recently as the 3mm shorty iis my norm. The 16lbs required a little air in the BC at depth, but was just right at the end of the dive on the safety stop. Thanks again to everyone.

Ding, ding, ding, ding . . . . . !!!!!

Do I get the stuffed animal ?!?!?!?!?!?

Safe dives . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !

the K

Not necessary to add lead if cold.. Here in NY I am 5'11 weight 175 and use 16 to 18 lbs of lead in a 7mm wetsuit.
in a DUI cf200 and 400 gram thinsulate I am up to 24 lbs of lead . This is in salt water. Much less in fresh water. Tank can be a HP steel 80 or alum 80. I usually do not bother taking less lead when using steel tank. BCD is a Dive Rite transpac with rec wing bladder.
Oops gotta change this...our pool heater quit at the lds last week and dropped from 80 to 74 degrees. Absolutely felt a buoyancy change. Other instructor felt a change as well. We both normally teach with minimal lead. So there can be a slight difference.

Generally, on the dive boat we would recommend 2kg or 4-5 pounds when going up from a 3mm to a 5mm or a 5mm to a 7mm. So, you could add 8-10 pounds. Especially, if the suits are new.

As you can see, the answers vary a bit. If you have access to some weights and a swimming pool, try sinking just the wetsuit, separately, in the pool to determine how much weight it takes to sink each one. The difference is about what you'll need to add. You'll probably find it takes around 6 pounds of lead to sink your 3mm and 16 pounds to sink your 7mm. (These were my figures... I use 10 lb more when I dive with my 7mm than I do with my 3mm.)

You don't need to adjust any fresh to salt for just sinking the wetsuit; the adjustment for that much weight is close to negligible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom