Lion Hunting in Africa vs Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the first story: "Brittany, her mother, Penny Pilcher, and 15-year-old sister, Ashley Regelski, were in the midst of a weeklong group scuba-diving trip and were at the Parrilla La Mision in Cozumel for dinner on Wednesday night when the attack happened." That much is in error; the lions were at Casa Mission, not Parilla Mission.

I think the newspaper was just hedging its bets by combining the names of Parilla Mission, La Mission, and Casa Mission.

Not sure why they misspelled "Mission". There was an internet back then.

Not sure why they misspelled "Mission". . . .

I don't know how the respective businesses spell their names, but the translation of the English word "mission" is spelled with only one "s" in Spanish.

I don't know how the respective businesses spell their names, but the translation of the English word "mission" is spelled with only one "s" in Spanish.

But that ain't the mission, apparently:

la-mission.jpg

casamiss.jpg

parrilla_mission_ing.png

Now I have to ask why next time I am there. I told the missus, she finds it an UNACCEPTABLE mix of English and Spanish! :)

Never noticed before.

I beg to differ with you. I have been in the water here for 23 years, the first 10 interacting almost daily with groupers and a lot of other "fish". For those who had been to Cozumel in the 90s, feeding the groupers was an obligatory job of the DMs.
Being obligatory by local standards does not make it responsible.

But we never fed them Cheeze Wiz, always fresh cut fish.
Im not sure how that has any bearing on the subject.

For you to call me irresponsible would apply to every DM who worked for a living then.

I never called you irresponsible....I called every DM on Coz that was hand feeding grouper irresponsible. If that shoe happens to be your size...

I did not humanize the groupers, they have "Labradorized" themselves.

That is debatable and probably where we disagree the most. Those grouper have learned over generations of interaction that divers equal free food. Just because you all no longer feed them doesn't change the ingrained behavior that they have learned and become accustomed to. I assure you if you find a grouper population that doesn't have a history of being fed by humans, they don't swim right up and ask to have their backs scratched. The act of feeding them all those years ago absolutely DID turn them into a carbon copy of your beloved Labrador Retriever.

Being obligatory by local standards does not make it responsible.

You can use that thinking to look down on everyone.

I never called you irresponsible....I called every DM on Coz that was hand feeding grouper irresponsible. If that shoe happens to be your size...

Ok well now you did.

That is debatable and probably where we disagree the most. Those grouper have learned over generations of interaction that divers equal free food. Just because you all no longer feed them doesn't change the ingrained behavior that they have learned and become accustomed to. I assure you if you find a grouper population that doesn't have a history of being fed by humans, they don't swim right up and ask to have their backs scratched. The act of feeding them all those years ago absolutely DID turn them into a carbon copy of your beloved Labrador Retriever.

So you are saying the species evolved into labrodors over generations? I know Dave is OLD, but you make him sound ancient if he Darwined the fish!

Seriously, talking to the old school Coz types, I feel like I missed something. I wish I had stayed at the big hotel with Jackie and took a slow boat south to dive and stopped on the beach to eat fresh fish and lobster that the crew caught while we were diving. Then that night, I could have met up with Gun (who is also OLD) and enjoyed some turtle soup.

Probably in another 20 years, we will decide is is TOO stressful on the fish to listen to open circuit bubbles. Only rebreathers will be allow.

Another 30 and we probably won't be allowed in the water. We will just have to watch video from small unobtrusive cameras on the reef.

Seriously, it is too easy to look down your nose on how people did things years ago and disparage them. That seems too much a self-serving attempt to feel superior to me.

And Gun said that turtle soup was EXCELLENT!

Now I have to ask why next time I am there. I told the missus, she finds it an UNACCEPTABLE mix of English and Spanish! :)

Never noticed before.

Are the owner's American?

Or perhaps they thought American tourists would be confused?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom