Getting a new perma-buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevindsingleton

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife started her SSI OW class, this weekend! The LDS runs out of a building on the grounds of a pretty large quarry pit, and they do their water work in the algae-infested muck. Not fun. It was cool and rainy, this weekend, and I made sure she knew that she is learning her skills in some of the worst possible conditions, which will make her a much better diver, in the long run. I hope she bought it!

I'm a PADI rescue diver for about 20 years, and I took my rescue course in very similar conditions, so I know a little about what's she's facing, but I didn't have to do OW skills in this stuff. It looks pretty brutal. I'm going to join them, next weekend, just to share in the kicked-up, silty fun!

I can't wait to get her to some clear water so she can enjoy the experience a little more.

First the good news: new buddy!
Now the bad news: diving expenses double!

Probably worth it in the long run...

:D

Good luck to her and good diving when she gets qualified.

I would love mine to even think about scuba but she can't bear her head underwater. Any ideas on how to overcome that are welcome as I would love to dive with her - even after 4 dives during my course I am hooked.

I'm going to join them, next weekend, just to share in the kicked-up, silty fun!

Only a thought - but it might actually be better to let her finish her course without you around, I don't know you so it may not apply in your case, but I have seen plenty of boyfriends, girlfriends, spouses etc. helpfully attend their significant others diving course and heap on a whole load of pressure and subtle interference, instead of letting the instructor get on and run the course.

If you want to dive together at the quarry, I would plan a gentle 'celebratory' dive for after she has certified, but let her get on and learn without feeling you are watching/critiquing so she can make and learn from her own mistakes with the instructor to help her. - Best Phil.

I agree with above poster... By all means.. Join her... After she gets out of the water, meet her with a hot beverage and a warm towel, then let her do her thing :D

First the good news: new buddy!Now the bad news: diving expenses double!Probably worth it in the long run...:D
I would love for my wife to get certified and actually go diving with me, but I don't think she would ever do it. I know it's something I can't force on her, but I would love for her to experience it just once (not discovery dive, but an actual dive). We live on the coast of NC, so we have some of the best wreck diving in the country right in our back yard. I'm kicking myself for waiting 30 years to get certified. I ended up getting certified with my brother and we've really enjoyed the time we've got to spend together diving.

Only a thought - but it might actually be better to let her finish her course without you around, I don't know you so it may not apply in your case, but I have seen plenty of boyfriends, girlfriends, spouses etc. helpfully attend their significant others diving course and heap on a whole load of pressure and subtle interference, instead of letting the instructor get on and run the course. If you want to dive together at the quarry, I would plan a gentle 'celebratory' dive for after she has certified, but let her get on and learn without feeling you are watching/critiquing so she can make and learn from her own mistakes with the instructor to help her. - Best Phil.
I understand, Phil, and that's excellent advice. I'll be diving with some of the other "regulars" that aren't involved in the course. I know better than to come between a spouse and her instructor, regardless of the nature of the course being taken, and I've been extremely careful to avoid contradicting anything she's learned, so far. I know that nothing good will come of conflict, at this stage, and it's entirely possible that she is learning to dive following current thinking that is far more advanced, or relevant to modern equipment, than what I was taught, way back when. It was described, to me, in my open water course (which paired me with the panicky, less-than-competent wife of another noob), as "AIDS", or "aquatic induced divorce syndrome".

Congrats to you and your wife! I am still working on getting my wife to try it. We are going on a cruise in February and she has started talking about maybe doing the discover scuba in grand Cayman. I would love to have my wife as a dive buddy.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Congrats to you and your wife! I am still working on getting my wife to try it. We are going on a cruise in February and she has started talking about maybe doing the discover scuba in grand Cayman. I would love to have my wife as a dive buddy. Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Good luck with your efforts, mhattenhauer. It took me eleven years to convince her to give it a try, but it was an outside influence that sealed the deal (scuba-by-marriage).

My favorite dive buddy is my hubby but he doesn't dive enough for me. :doh: It is a great experience to share with your significant other. He started diving years before I met him. We actually met in a round about way because of Scuba Diving but that is another story. He complains the first 10 years he was a diver he did 160 dives... the next ten years he did 500..of course he blames me for that :shakehead: IMHO we should have got more dives. I've gained on him a bit .. now there is a spread of 70 dives between us :) I just may catch up to his number.

Face in the water problems check out this Confessions of an unlikely diver thread

Another one that may be useful is this one where everyone talks about How many of you love diving with your spouse

---------- Post added September 15th, 2015 at 11:40 PM ----------

Took a while to find this thread Scubaboard Valentines Couples ..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom