Getting a new perma-buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife is my perma buddy, when she is with me. I still have th occasional insta buddy ( see my blog post on the subject) but Debbie and I love sharing scuba together Good for you both!
DivemasterDennis

Success! My lovely wife is now certified as an SSI open water scuba diver! I went with her on an afternoon dive, yesterday, and she did great. I'm a very lucky guy! Now, for some specialty courses, to keep her engaged, and provide some practice opportunities.

Success! My lovely wife is now certified as an SSI open water scuba diver! I went with her on an afternoon dive, yesterday, and she did great. I'm a very lucky guy! Now, for some specialty courses, to keep her engaged, and provide some practice opportunities.

Congratulations. Hope you have many happy dives together!

I was certified for 10 years before my wife finally decided to dive. It definitely has its pros and cons. As previously state, your expenses just doubled. One of our challenges is we are very different divers. I want to go on trips with big wrecks and great penetration, doing 4+ dives a day, every day. She is happy to do a couple dives, every few days, on some colorful reefs. So, we go together on vacations that involve diving and I go on dive trips.

I was certified for 10 years before my wife finally decided to dive. It definitely has its pros and cons. As previously state, your expenses just doubled. One of our challenges is we are very different divers. I want to go on trips with big wrecks and great penetration, doing 4+ dives a day, every day. She is happy to do a couple dives, every few days, on some colorful reefs. So, we go together on vacations that involve diving and I go on dive trips.
Well, to be fair, she pulls her own weight, and then some, as far as expenses go. I don't know how adventurous she'll be, as far as deep dives and wrecks, but she's pretty keen on seeing some clear water and making diving a big part of our vacation plans, and she doesn't usually shy away from a challenge. She's more interested in photography than I am, so we'll do her "colorful reef" dives, one day, and my wrecks, another. If I can get her to do a couple of days of diving in a week-long vacation, I'll be happy with that. I can always go out with other divers, if she prefers to relax, now and then.

Kevin

Congrats on your wife joining the realm. I too have a new Ow certified wife. She has been certified for about a year now and she loves it. One thing nice about it is that you can create the dream buddy. Spend a lot of time in good training water and let her make her mistakes and learn form it is a safe environment.

Congratulations to you both and wishing you many years and many wonderful shared dives :)

That's amazing! Double costs but twice the fun!!!!

I hope one day my wife joins me, even if it is just to see the colorful corals and fishes. Really happy for you!

That's amazing! Double costs but twice the fun!!!!

I hope one day my wife joins me, even if it is just to see the colorful corals and fishes. Really happy for you!

Just guessing seeing as there is no chance of getting mine in the water to dive but I would think it would be more than twice the fun as you can not only dive with them but share the experiences and stories for years to come.

Good luck to her and good diving when she gets qualified.

I would love mine to even think about scuba but she can't bear her head underwater. Any ideas on how to overcome that are welcome as I would love to dive with her - even after 4 dives during my course I am hooked.

My wife was the same way - we'd go on a trip and she'd do was to get in the pool/ocean, but never get her head or face wet.
Several years ago we started taking vacations with friends that snorkel a lot, so she decided to try that (I had given up on it) and liked it; the first time she saw a barracuda she came running off the beach (Sunset Beach, St Maarten), out of breath and so excited she could barely get it out to tell me!
Then Lisa (my wife's friend) decided to get certified, and Lisa and I became dive buddys (Lisa's husband was content to snorkel and lay on the beach/by the pool); last year at SXM, my wife commented that she was tired of being left out (Bill didn't do much snorkelling that rip) and wanted to learn to dive!
SO we took it easy, OW with the local shop, and she almost passed - had problems taking the reg out and mask on/off under water. Our LDS (Scubashack in Fredericksburg, VA) were kind enough to let me work with her in the pool whenever they were doing classes, so after a couple weeks of practice she was ready to try again - she passed confined water/pool section with no issues.
Next step was the OW dives, so I took her to Singer Island, FL, and reached out to Force-E to get an instructor; we hooked up with Alec (out of the Boca Raton store) and he suggested we do BHB for her first couple of dives, reason being that it is very shallow and easy to do. Everything went well there, so the next day was the dreaded boat dive.
Again with Alec, who was (and is) absolutely fabulous - patient, calm and relaxed, he stayed with her the entire time; when she started to panic he took her back up to the surface to catch her breath, and then they tried again - success!
I now have an entire family of divers (I have 2 daughters) and my cost on vacations has skyrocketed!
So the point of all this is to let here do it at her own pace - never ever try to force the issue, just try to keep her relaxed and let things flow; it might just work out for you. Another key is to have a great instructor, and I can't say enough good things about Alec. Lastly, I think doing her OW dives somewhere like BHB was helpful; shallow, clear and no intimidation from being out on the open water (big difference for her).
BTW - Bill decided that he too wanted to get certified, and did so in Playa del Carmen a couple of months ago!

Hope this help!
KevinL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom