Getting a new perma-buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was a nondiver when I met my husband. In fact I was a never diver, meaning the idea terrified me. Claustrophobic and terrified of open water.

He he went on a dive holiday on his own to Tobago, and I was sad I couldn't participate in something that made him so happy. The next year, against all odds, I did a try dive in central London in an ancient Victorian age pool. I walked home to my flat that night thinking it might be possible after all.

The other half has never gotten involved in my training, contradicted anything, or given me unsolicited advice. He's just happy I'm in the water.

I did my referral in London, my OW in Thailand, followed up by my AOW in Grenada (on some amazing wrecks). Since then I've wracked up trips to Indonesia, Bonaire, the Philippines, Roatan, with a few UK dives thrown in for freezing temps. 130 in two years. My dive interests have changed from pretty coral reef to a preference for walls and wrecks (saw a cool DC3 wreck yesterday). I've even come around some of my claustrophobia, and did the sort of closed tunnels of Mary's Place here in Roatan.

My recommendation is to let the less experienced diver pick the trip and dive types. I felt zero pressure, and I'm a better, more adventurous diver for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom