Why would a shop change from PADI to SSI affiliation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amberm145

New
Reaction score
My husband and I got PADI Scuba Diver certification in Roatan 3 years ago. We haven't had an opportunity to go diving since, but we're planning another trip to Roatan. We aren't able to go to the same resort as last time, and I noticed that the resort we're staying at this time is SSI. My first thought was no biggie, we'll just walk up the beach and dive with our old shop. But then I realized that the new resort and the old resort's dive shops are different locations of the same company, and now the shop where we got our PADI certification from is no longer a PADI shop.

Why would the shop change? And are they likely to still take us out with our PADI cards? (Note, we have Scuba Diver cards, not Open Water Diver, so we need an instructor with us.) Or should we look for another shop that's PADI?

PADI is accepted everywhere. Don't worry and enjoy your trip. I would however do a couple local dives just to get back and comfortable in water before the trip.

Why would a shop change, well there are many possible reasons. I personally would not change from PADI.

first off, even if the shop has switched to SSI, they will still accept your PADI certifications. Certification cards are universal like that, you don't have to stay within your agency to go diving. It is completely acceptable for someone with a NAUI, SSI, CMAS, etc certification to dive with a PADI dive centre and vice versa.

Why would they have changed from PADI to SSI? Could be many reasons, not likely anything sinister. each agency has different costs for affiliation and offer different services. They each have different terms and conditions also. I would guess that maybe your store has decided that they would be better off with the offerings SSI have and have switched accordingly.

---------- Post added December 13th, 2015 at 07:03 AM ----------

In addition to the above, if a store is expelled by PADI for having failed to meet their expectations then they will be listed here https://www.padi.com/scuba-diving/a.../consumer-alerts/expelled-dive-center-resort/

There are numerous reasons to change and many certification agencies NAUI, PADI, SSI, CMAS, BSAC and the list goes on. I would suggest getting a full certification if you plan on continuing diving and you should be able to complete a course at the shop you trained with last time or a new one. The agency that is on your certification card is not important but the training you get is.

They probably switched for reasons of profitability. There are varied fees etc involved to affiliate with an agency; and other factors like quality of local support and/or cost of manuals and materials.

However, the switch doesn't affect your ability to dive with them under a PADI C-card. They might even offer PADI courses still.

They might even offer PADI courses still.

^^^This.
PADI instructors can be independent of a shop, so even if the shop is SSI, the instructors can still also be PADI.
I would advise you to do the additional two PADI dives to move from Scuba Diver to Open Water Diver. It is a half day to do this, should not cost much (over just doing two dives with the operator), and allows you to dive without a professional if you so choose. Also, probably fewer questions about what the card means.

Last edited:
Unless the shop has been expelled there is often a financial basis behind the decision. Some agencies are more focused on the shop and have policies that may offer more profit as was previously noted. Support from the agency is also a factor. SSI is quite focused on also having students buy complete sets of gear by the time they are ready for checkouts. The shop may see that as a way to make up for the loss in revenue that offering inexpensive courses results in.

+1 for completing the 2 checkout dives to get certified.
Once you're certified, it won't matter what affiliation the shop has.

If you don't complete your certification, you often won't be able to go to the best sites of an area. You may only go to places where they do discover dives or take beginner divers. Something to think about.

Is there a time limit under PADI to go from scuba diver to open water certification?

Is there a time limit under PADI to go from scuba diver to open water certification?

I think that the answer is 'it depends'.

To go from a Scuba Diver cert to a full Open Water Cert, student must complete the rest of the knowledge reviews (sections 4 & 5), rest of the confined water skills (confined dives 4 & 5 skills, continuous swim, and any of the dive-flexible skills not done in dives 1 - 3), and open water dives 3 & 4.

Those can be done anytime that the student wants to (PADI --> PADI)

Not sure what procedure SSI would use to upgrade a PADI scuba diver cert.

Question to the OP -- Is getting certified at home before going to Roatan an option?

Last edited:
My husband and I got PADI Scuba Diver certification in Roatan 3 years ago. We haven't had an opportunity to go diving since, but we're planning another trip to Roatan. We aren't able to go to the same resort as last time, and I noticed that the resort we're staying at this time is SSI. My first thought was no biggie, we'll just walk up the beach and dive with our old shop. But then I realized that the new resort and the old resort's dive shops are different locations of the same company, and now the shop where we got our PADI certification from is no longer a PADI shop.

Why would the shop change? And are they likely to still take us out with our PADI cards? (Note, we have Scuba Diver cards, not Open Water Diver, so we need an instructor with us.) Or should we look for another shop that's PADI?

Simple: $$$$$$$$$$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom