Luggage destroyed in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP...I had to go to Telmex today so I looked in the two dive shops across the street. ProDive said they were out of them at the moment (they had a mesh bag for about $75 US and a smaller regulator bag for travel). Studio Blue had several bags; the type you probably want was a hefty $180 US or thereabouts. I also stopped in Chedraui and looked in both their sporting area and luggage. All I could see were suitcases and large Rubbermaid-type totes. Along my way to Chedraui, I passed a store just south of the square where they sell all the trinkets. One store ...Pirata-something-or-other had suitcases and a large sporting goods type of bag in the window.

I had a bag fall apart on me a few years ago. Taxi driver picked it up outside my hotel and the whole seam ripped apart, spilling my stuff all over the sidewalk. Ran over to Mega, got several rolls of duct tape, and taped it all up. Ferry refused to take it (was flying out of Cancun that trip) but let me hold it in my lap. That was a comfy ride, not. I figured airline would balk too so bought a cheap bag at Walmart.

Point being, I wouldn't try the duct tape solution because you might get to the airport and be turned away then you'll be in a real bind.

Are there any "thrift stores" in Cancun??

Yes, but they offer luggage as opposed to dive bags. The OP wanted to obtain a replacement dive bag.

Cozumel has some thrift stores but they tend to be off the beaten tourist path.

Then that's where I would go.

There are two basic approaches to this problem. Buy a good replacement bag in Coz/PDC as a permanent solution, or find the cheapest way to get his gear back home as a temporary solution and then shop from home for a permanent solution. The OP hasn't been back so it's not clear what he would prefer. I would prefer the latter because I think I can get a better quality bag at a lower price while shopping from home, without the time pressure and resource limitations of shopping while on vacation.

A cheap suitcase can be had at Mega or chedraui for about $35. You could spend that much on taxis roaming the island.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

You can get a great deal on a rolling hockey gear bag at any thrift store. The goalie bags are the best. That's what I use.

... oh wait, maybe that only applies to MN and Canada. Probably not a lot of leftover hockey gear in Coz, huh?
:dork2:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I poked around in several of the LDS and found the one at Studio Blue for $180. I haven't bought it, but considering it, and also considering the plastic wrap and duct tape method. I'm glad to have options!

Now if you can arrange to open the port so we can dive, that would be great!

Maxwell

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom