Reaching the tank valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've discovered that I can't reach the tank valve while diving. I'm going to try some stretching and range-of-motion exercises to see if it's a problem I can fix.

Is this common?

are you diving singles or doubles? When I started with doubles I had trouble reaching the valves my solution was to move the tanks higher one the backplate.

Single tank? Yes, very common. Doubles, common at first until they are adjusted correctly. A simple test is put your hand behind you neck, if you can touch, you can reach your valves. After that it's adjustments and exposure suit/undergarment issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah pretty much moving the tank up in the BC is the first thing to try. If you hit your head on your first stage it is up too far, but it should not be much below that. Depending on the tank you may be able to reach behind and push the tank up with one hand while reaching the the other. Being horizontal helps so you are not fighting gravity. Also when reaching for the valve keep you elbow in front of you, rather than to the side, that will give you an extra inch or two.

This is really worth working through. Obviously jumping in with your valve closed should not happen but it does happen often enough that having a fix is worthwhile. Also helps with freeflows and blown o-rings.

Most problems stem from improper technique. Only a few people have sufficiently limited mobility, but this is often the factor incorrectly blamed.

The critical attribute of the skill is that you need to reach up and over, not out and around. It's about shoulder joint mobility. When reaching back, bring your arm directly up... so that it brushes past your ear. That adds a few more inches of extension.

Being in truly horizontal trim also helps, otherwise gravity is taking your tank lower. Even if you adjust cylinders to ride high, if you're feet down, they'll hang lower.

Lastly, many people instinctively go chin down when reaching back. This limits mobility. Raise the chin, arch the neck, look up...
Technical Diving Skills - Reaching Your Valves

Your trim does need to be spot on in order to do this with ease although saying that, I dive with someone who can't reach their valves regardless due to shoulder problems. He has simply flipped his rig upside down. A valve guard and some longer hoses allows you to do this with ease. It's not the most preferred look, however ensures that he dives safely and is self reliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When i first started on my doubles i figured out I could either go slightly head down, or could pull the plate slightly higher by tugging down on my shoulder straps to make the valve easier to reach. Trim really is key, especially with big steels.

Singles, your probably not going to be able to reach it, and correct me people if I am wrong, but I can't think of why you would need to, shouldn't be shutting down your only air source underwater.

As for doubles, when I went to doubles and my tec training this was my greatest concern, I had practiced reaching the valves and couldn't get at them. Then my instructor taught be, pretty much spot on what Andy ( Devondiver) just said above and first shot I had them. I was over reaching, reaching so far out I was passing the valve. Head up, slide hand up past ear and you should have them. I have sometimes given my shoulders a little shrug to help push the tanks up my back.

I could not reach them until I ditched my thermal base layer under my Santi BZ400. Turned out the base layer restricted movement too much in combination with my undersuit. Looking for a new base layer now. Agree fully with the rest of the advise given.

This is a critical skill.

There are several ways that you can enter the water with a closed valve. Inattention, falling off a dock, boat, etc...

Assuming a right-handed diver:

Reach behind you with your left hand, grab the tank butt and yank to get the tank on an angle on your back. Immediately reach for the valve with your right hand while your left hand now comes up and pushes your right elbow to gain several more inches of reach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom